BladeSystem - General
1752777 Members
6519 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Virtual Connect + Dynamic LACP + VLANs (Upstream from Switch not Downstream from Servers)

SOLVED
Go to solution
BL460C
Advisor

Virtual Connect + Dynamic LACP + VLANs (Upstream from Switch not Downstream from Servers)

Hi,

I posted a questions in the Switch forum, but it might be more of a Virtual Connect Issue,

Link

Basically I am trying to achieve this

E5412 Switch upstream to Virtual Connect using Dynamic LACP

Virtual Connect to ESXi passing through 2 NICS Only, one is from VC A and one from VC B

E5412 Has 4 Cables

2 Cables to Virtual Connect Module A (Formed Dyn1)

2 Cables to Virtual Connect Module B (Formed Dyn2)

ESXi is installed on a Blade in the C7000 Enclosure and Traffic to default VLAN works fine

I can't get it to pass through other VLAN traffic other than the default

I have the Virtual Connect setup as follows

2 Ethernet Networks

Trunk_A (Both cables from VC A are in this trunk)

Trunk_B (Both cables from VC B are in this trunk)

Both are set for VLAN tunnelling

I have no Shared Uplink Sets created

What do I need to do to get all VLANs to pass through?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Hongjun Ma
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Virtual Connect + Dynamic LACP + VLANs (Upstream from Switch not Downstream from Servers)

don't use GVRP with VC. VC doesn't understand it. Why you have to use dynamic LACP and worry about GVRP and it's restriction of default vlan operation? VC only talks LACP and LLDP for uplink protocol.

just define a trunk in lacp mode and that should work with VC. VC is an LACP active device.

My VC blog: http://hongjunma.wordpress.com

BL460C
Advisor

Re: Virtual Connect + Dynamic LACP + VLANs (Upstream from Switch not Downstream from Servers)

Thanks, makes sense now I will create Passive LACP on switch side (so VC can be the Active side to form LACP bond) eg TRK1 TRK X-X TRK1 LACP Then I will add the tags to the TRK VLAN 10 TAG TRK10 Cheers.
Hongjun Ma
Trusted Contributor

yes, that will do. I haven't got time to dig in to understand why Procurve has this "dynamic LACP" but put restrictions of default vlan without GVRP.  That's pretty wasted IMO. I usually just define a global LACP trunk and it works fine even when connecting to HPN A-seriers IRF cluster.

My VC blog: http://hongjunma.wordpress.com