BladeSystem - General
1752297 Members
4414 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Virtual Connect Enterprise Manager(VCEM) question on how events trigger workload migration.

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Virtual Connect Enterprise Manager(VCEM) question on how events trigger workload migration.

Ed had a question on how VCEM triggers workload migrations:

Hi… quick question about Automatic Profile Migration within VCEM.

What would trigger or precipitate an Automatic profile migration to a spare server.

Does VCEM have any mechanism within itself to move a profile if a specific physical event occurs?
OR does VCEM depend on HP SIM to tell it that a server is experiencing a Pre Failure or post failure?

Vincent and David joined the discussion:

Vincent replied:

You choose in SIM which events you want to trigger a failover. VCEM installs an event collection (“VCEM Failover Events” I think) that represents HP’s recommendation but every customer should give this some thought and possibly modify the collection.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01469068/c01469068.pdf (dates back to VCEM 1.10 but still useful I think)

As did David:

I’d rather think of them as ‘examples’ rather than HP’s recommendation.  It is up to the customer to determine the right trigger based on their needs to initiate a failover.  Choosing incorrectly could mean that a failover is initiated on a system that is happily moving messages, serving web pages, etc, but because the view of the system from the CMS is interrupted could be caused to failover which could cause at least a temporary outage.

Other comments or suggestions? Do you do a lot of server migration?