4057 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Virtual Connect SAN Profiles

BridgeToNowhere
Occasional Advisor

Virtual Connect SAN Profiles

Hi All, 

I've picked up looking at a c7000 enclosure with FC SAN connectivity via Virtual Connect 8Gb Modules.

Trying to edit server profiles to change the SAN Fabric from X to Y in Virtual Connect Manger (v4.20)

For 6 ProLiant BL420/460c Gen8 blades and 2 Integrity BL860x i2 blades I can edit the server profiles fine and change the SAN fabrics over fine under the "FC HBA Connections" section fine without issue.

However the enclosure also contains an Integrity BL870c i2 blade, which is "double width" with the Monarch auxiliary blade taking a second full height bay.

For this blade when I edit the server profile there is no "FC HBA Connections" section showing in the web GUI. - Dispite it being zoned into an exiting fabric?

I'm not familiar with the Integrity line up - Is not being able to edit FC connections by design in Virtual Connect as the blade spans bays? 

3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Virtual Connect SAN Profiles

Do you have FC mezzanines in the second blade of the BL870c i2 or fc mezzanines in this server at all?

And from VC User guide:

VCM displays multi-blade servers as a single entity, showing the range of bays that comprise the server. For
example, if a multi-blade server occupies bays 1, 2, 3, and 4, then VCM represents the server as “Bays 1-4
(HP Integrity BL890c i2).” This is true in the Server Bays summary screen, in the list of bays that a profile can
be assigned to in the Edit Server Profile screen, and so on.
A profile is assigned to an entire multi-blade server, not to the individual blades in the server. If a profile is
assigned to an auxiliary blade (for example, a profile is assigned to an empty bay and then a multi-blade
server is installed), that profile is ignored. In this case, it’s the same as a profile assigned to a covered bay.
In such a case VCM identifies the bay that the profile is assigned to as “Covered – Auxiliary”.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
BridgeToNowhere
Occasional Advisor

Hi Torsten, many thanks for your reply.

Both the Monarch and Auxiliary blades have 2 Emulex LPe1205 FC mezzanine cards installed each.

Originally just 1 mezzanine per blade but as as we have added new 3Par storage additional VC FC modules have been installed into the C7000 at interconnect bays 5 &6,  plus the additional mezzanine cards in the blades.

If I look at the port mapping in OA I can see both the old and new FC mezzanine cards with their correct Interconnect bay port mappings

Monarch:

Auxilary

fig1a

However when I go to edit the Server profile in VCM to assign a SAN fabric, the "FC HBA Connections" section is missing from the GUI? 

If I do the same for any other blade in the enclosure (these are single blades) then I can see the "FC HBA Connections" section and add a SAN fabric to the second FC mezzanine.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I don't have a good idea what could cause this ... maybe firmware?

VC version 4.20, I would consider to update.

If you have a need to stay with 4.2x for any reason, take at least 4.21, better a newer version up to 4.45:

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5303890&swItemId=MTX_5520092dbcc34a3d84e5ee4fb1&swEnvOid=4064#tab-history

If you don't have Proliant G6 or earlier and only Integrity i2 or newer you should be able to go to 4.45.

see

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=mmr_kc-0100204-12

You may also check the BL8x0c i2 firmware against the current bundle:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/doc/p444764297/v116243/bl8x0ci2_Mega_bundle_2015.12.htm

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!