108789 Solutions
New Discussion

VLAN tagging with SUS and abilty to choose "all" vlans with Flex10

kheller2
Frequent Advisor

VLAN tagging with SUS and abilty to choose "all" vlans with Flex10

Is there a way to have the following flexability:

1) Map a single vlan to a single flex nic

2) Map multiple vlans to a single flex nic (vlan tagging on)

3) map all vlans (w/o picking them all) to a nic.

The flex-10s are connected via 5 1GB uplinks (etherchannel) to a switch passing all vlan traffic.

This is simlar to Scenario 2.3 in the 3rd edition of the Single/multi enclosure ethernet cookbook.  However, in that example, they created shared uplink sets for allow multiple vlans to a flex port, and also vNets (to different uplink ports) to pass all vlan traffic through.

Stated another way, can I create a SUS that allows me to do the three options above to any NIC.  Basically I want the vnet ability of option 3 above. 

If I have five connections back to a switch and all are passing all vlan tags and they are etherchannel, why must I choose either vnet to pass *all* vlans, or use sus to pass selective vlans.. why can't sus pass *all* vlans?

4 REPLIES 4
Stevem
Frequent Advisor

Re: VLAN tagging with SUS and ability to choose "all" vlans with Flex10

Karl,

Is there a way to have the following flexibility:

1) Map a single vlan to a single flex nic - Yes.  By simply selecting just the vNet/Vlan you need on that NIC.  The frames will be presented UN-TAGGED to the server NIC.

2) Map multiple vlans to a single flex nic (vlan tagging on) - Yes. When setting VC in MAP VLAN Tag mode, you can select Multiple networks and configure one or many VLANs for that NIC.  All networks will present frames with TAGS (optionally, one network could be untagged - set to default0

3) map all vlans (w/o picking them all) to a nic. No - if in map VLAN mode, you would need to select the VLAN/vnets individually.

There is the ability when setting this configuration to first select the Shared Uplink Set, which will then present only the vNets associated with that SUS, then make your selections from there.

The alternative might be to use a combination of SUS and VLAN tunnel (in VLAN tunnel mode).  This configuration would leverage Scenario 2:4 from the cookbook.  This would mean splitting your uplinks across the SUS and vNet.

Also, there is work in motion to extend these capabilities.

kheller2
Frequent Advisor

Actually I made a typo in the above question.  I am using scenario 2.4.  I just want the X2 links gone and only have the X3 link able to support the SUS and the vNet. Greedy, I know. :smileyhappy:

Stevem
Frequent Advisor

Karl,

Take a look at scenario 2:3.  If you set the domain for Map VLAN mode, you will be able use set "Multiple" networks for a NIC.  You will be able to get to a single SUS, then distribute the VLANs across the NICs.

Does this make sense?

Mikkova
Occasional Visitor

Why is this stated in VC User guide:

IMPORTANT: If you are deploying a server where VLAN tags will be used (added) on the server itself, do not connect the server Ethernet port carrying VLAN-tagged traffic to a shared uplink set.

I have one VC domain in map VLAN tags mode, SUS with vlan networks 7, 10, 12 and ESX servers have NICs with multiple networks, and the networks are those 7, 10, 12. VLAN tagging is enabled in ESX VM Port Group with those same tags.

Windows servers have their NICs connected to one of those networks, and tagging disabled in OS.

Should I change the domain to VLAN tunneling mode?