108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Client Server Architecture

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

Client Server Architecture

I'm having a little debate with our DBA on Client Server Architecture. He had previously worked in a shop with a 2 tier architecture and has a rather narrow view that the way they did it is the only way to do it. I've worked with both 2 and 3 tier, currently 3 tier. Some did heavy processing on the database server. Some on application servers. Some relied on the clients. The point I'm trying to make with him is that there are several ways to implement it. Depends on how you set it up and write your code.
So my question is does any one know of a good web site that explains client server architecture? Do you have any favorite books on the subject? I need to open his mind.
3 REPLIES 3
Mike McKinlay
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Client Server Architecture

Understand that anytime you go to the Microsoft website you're going to encounter MS-spin ... nevertheless, TechNet at http://www.microsoft.com/technet provides an EXCELLENT source of low/medium/high-level documentation on almost any kind of technology. It is not just limited to Microsoft product support but also offers great whitepapers on just about everything under the "Sun".

When you get to the main page, make sure you go to the "Advanced Search" button in order to get boolean search capability. I entered

"two-tier" AND "three-tier"

(yes, with the quotes) and got the following, which is a great primer with only a smidge of Microsoft-sell:

http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/sql/tools/sqldevkt/roadmap.asp
"Hope springs eternal."
Anthony Goonetilleke
Esteemed Contributor

2 tier was fine a while ago but now with Java and ASP application servers have become standard have a look at

Weblogic from BEA www.bea.com
Websphere from IBM

Even Oracle have their own application server.
Minimum effort maximum output!
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

Mike, that document you pointed me to is exactly what I need right now.
Anthony, the link you listed looks to have a great deal of good information. I'll wade through that in the next few days.

Thanks for the great Christmas presents. Hope you both have good holidays!