Careers in Tech
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping MLK’s legacy alive – Living a Life of Service

GDoS 19 one.jpg

One of the things I am most proud of working for Hewlett Packard Enterprise is their commitment to be a force for good, particularly its focus and impact on Corporate Social Responsibility and the business value of inclusion and diversity in the workplace. One of the programs available for all employees to connect with peers is through the Employee Resource Groups. There are many chapters, and one that I belong in is the Black Employee Network. I am an active member in the North Texas chapter, particularly in our efforts to serve, volunteering in the local communities.

GDoS 19 four.jpgHPE supports us by giving us 6 hours a month to volunteer and a small stipend via ERGs to serve our communities.  

In 2018, the company announced Global Day of Service. It is a day when the company dedicates a day where all employees across the globe spends the day volunteering within our local communities in which I’ve played an active role to active the employee volunteer projects within the North Texas areas.

Some of these activities are volunteering to Food banks, classroom visits to schools in underserved communities, toy drives during the holidays, or school supplies during back to school.

Within the last two years of serving the community, the relationship has deepened and the experience more meaningful.

The partnership began in 2018 when HPE conducted a school supply drive for the students of Frankford Middle School by way of Communities In School Dallas Region.  When the torch was passed on in 2019 for me to lead a group of volunteers for HPE’s Global Day of Service project, I was honored and learned so much from that experience.

GDoS 19 seven.jpg

I led a project where I partnered with the Middle School to host a mentorship session. Our purpose for the engagement was to provide early exposure to tech careers, particularly in underserved areas. What came out from the experience was truly profound. The HPE volunteers shared their personal accounts of their life’s stories, challenges and insights on the importance in developing the following character traits: leadership, good attitude, respect, values, confidence, kindness and empathy. The session was well received, by students and faculty. Many of the teachers encouraged us to extend our stay because they saw the value and the immediate impact our presence and our stories had with the students.

GDoS 19 six.jpg

Reflecting on that day, and on another year celebrating Martin Luther King’s Day – a U.S. Federal Holiday dedicated to honor Dr. Martin Luther King, and his legacy of service and volunteerism.  The great talent that resides in our company by way  Plano Platinum Park campus, and am proud to be a part of, we will be helping with the efforts of #TheWayForward and serving our local communities particular mentoring future generation leaders.

About the Author:

Ebonee West is an Inside Sales Account Executive for Hewlett Packard Enterprise  Federal Accounts division. She is also actively involved in the Black Employee Network  Resource Groups and holds the  Professional Development Chair Chapter (NTXBEN). In addition to her commitment to NTXBEN, she an HPE Gives champion supporting HPE Foundation and the company’s commitment to Corporate Social Responsibility. She leads and partners with other in various volunteering opportunities within the Greater Dallas-Fort Worth area.

Learn more about Inclusion and Diversity at Hewlett Packard Enterprise and to keep up to date with Life at HPE and Career opportunities visit our HPE Careers page.  

Desiree Chavez
Hewlett Packard Enterprise

twitter.com/HPE_Careers
linkedin.com/groups/7412053/
facebook.com/HPECareers
hpe.com/careers

DesireeCH
0 Kudos
About the Author

DesireeCH

Employer brand and digital media evangelist. Proactively searching for new trends and best in class practices to find, converse, share, engage and refer potential candidates and bring the best Talent for the company.