Advancing Life & Work
1753481 Members
4167 Online
108794 Solutions
New Article ๎ฅ‚
DesireeCH

My road to success in Global Trade

HPE20160525576_800_0_72_srgb.jpg

I started my career as an intern in 2014, working at Government of Jalisco - a state located in Mexico, where Tequila, world renowned guitarist Carlos Santana and Academy Award-winning director Guillermo del Toro were born. At the Government office, I started to get familiar with public and economic policies, and ever since that moment, I knew I wanted to work in something related to the topic. It was time to move to the private sector.

Thatโ€™s how I ended in Hewlett Packard Enterprise. It was the perfect choice, a multinational company, with a solid global presence and prestige. I saw the opportunity to gain experience, while learning from the best, finding out all there was about policies and how they were applied in BIG companies.

Luisa and the Global Trade Team at the HPE Mexico officesLuisa and the Global Trade Team at the HPE Mexico offices

Itโ€™s been almost 1 year since Iโ€™ve joined and it has been a great adventure. I have learned a lot during the past few months. Iโ€™m part of the Global Trade Organization, which supports businesses and functions by meeting their obligations with all import/export laws and regulations worldwide. Iโ€™m part of a new process called โ€œRestricted Party List Centralizationโ€ related to US export controls, which works on the restrictions imposed by governments on the transfer of certain items, software, and technology, to support national security and foreign policy requirements. This is something quite interesting to handle and completely new for me. Before HPE, I knew nothing about RPL list.

HPE gave me the chance to learn about the process and work in various areas, without having an extensive knowledge or expertise. At first, it had been quite difficult to understand how HPEโ€™s Global Trade handles trade compliance requirements, but as time has passed , with good mentors and peer support, that has changed. Iโ€™m now the co-owner of two new processes in RPL team: the first one is to manage and reduce orders on hold, providing status and follow up until they are released. The second one is the revision and approval of nonproliferation form due diligence in AMS and EMEA regions. This has helped to decrease the Teams TAT (Turn Around Time), to improve the order releases TAT, and most importantly, enhance our customer satisfaction. These projects requires responsibility, a daily basis follow up, and an effective communication with Business Units, not to mention 100% dedication.

Mexico Global Trade Team enjoying the office outdoorsMexico Global Trade Team enjoying the office outdoors

Working at HPE has been challenging at times, and thatโ€™s one thing that makes me love working here. RPL Centralization team has two sub-teams, working together to provide 24/7 support. I belong to the team located in Guadalajara, so I am lucky to get to know and work with employees in Bangalore, India. Meeting new people, learning from different cultures, and experiencing how peers and coworkers on the other side of the world perform and think about the same process management has been tremendously enriching. Additionally, the company has helped me to develop different skills, by attending diverse trainings and certifications. These new strengths have improved my work on a daily basis, as well as my personal life. Now, I feel confident and capable of performing different activities with people all around the world.

HPE Gives - Employee program to give back to the communityHPE Gives - Employee program to give back to the community

HPE is not only my workplace, it is also my second home. My co-workers, supervisor and manager are also close friends. Iโ€™m growing professionally and personally within the company and, believe me, I enjoy every minute of it. The company also has different activities and programs that can impact positively the society we live in, such as the animal network and charity events. Iโ€™m proud of being part of a company that is concerned about the financial field, and, at the same, is creating innovative solutions for the society, the environment and the world. I know for sure that weโ€™re doing the best we can to improve now where will be in the future. And this is just the beginning of a long and exciting journey!

Explore all the opportunities we have at www.hpe.com/careers and start your journey too!

About the author

13925041_1604022896557434_2967038241130374764_n.jpg

Luisa Benรญtez works in Global Trade Organization at HPE. She loves to travel and learn about different cultures. Luisa holds a Bachelorโ€™s Degree in โ€˜International Relationsโ€™ which has opened her eyes to a different world, where she can understand and see it from a different perspective. She enjoys reading about Global History, Politics and Economics. She strongly believes that โ€œIf we understand our past and present, we can change and improve our futureโ€. She adores her dog and she is also a big Star Wars movie fan! You can connect with Luisa Benitez on LinkedIn.

DesireeCH
0 Kudos
About the Author

DesireeCH

Employer brand and digital media evangelist. Proactively searching for new trends and best in class practices to find, converse, share, engage and refer potential candidates and bring the best Talent for the company.