1752565 Members
5434 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

HPE 5700 Bridge Aggregation 10G and 40G Ports

Brian Smith_36
Occasional Contributor

HPE 5700 Bridge Aggregation 10G and 40G Ports

We have 2 5700 FF switches that currently have a port link-aggregation setup across 4 of the 10G ports and is working fine as  a 40G channel. We recently purchased 40G SFP+ modules that I would like to now use to replace that communication channel.

Initially, my thought is to add the 40G ports into the LAGG group with the 10G modules and then once everything is working, remove the 10G as needed. However, when I add my first 40G port in, I see no change and when I inspect the port, I see that it shows the following status:

Current state: UP
Line protocol state: DOWN(LAGG)

I can see that the port is up, but for some reason the line protocol doesn't come up. Is it possible that you are not able to do LAGG across the SFP+ and the QSFP+ ports?

If so, is there a way to bring up a separate LAGG group for just the QSFP+ ports without causing a network disruption? I started that route yesterday but quickly shut it down when I started noticing some indicators that made me think there may have been a routing issue starting.

Configurations:

interface Bridge-Aggregation40
 description 5700Cross
 port link-type trunk
 port trunk permit vlan all
 link-aggregation mode dynamic

interface Ten-GigabitEthernet1/0/40
 port link-type trunk
 port link-aggregation group 40

interface FortyGigE1/0/41
 port link-type trunk
 port link-aggregation group 40

1 REPLY 1
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: HPE 5700 Bridge Aggregation 10G and 40G Ports

What you're primarily trying to achieve (adding a FortyGE port as an additional member of an existing LAG which already has one or more TenGE member ports) is not possible because LAG admits only member ports with same attributes (read: all physical ports in the same Link Aggregation Group must have the same Speed, Duplex Mode and Flow Control settings).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner