New Discussion

Re: JG934A HPE 5130 - software upgrade roadmap

SOLVED
Go to solution
fcavanna
Occasional Visitor

JG934A HPE 5130 - software upgrade roadmap

Hello,

Our JG934A  HPE 5130 switchs that currently running a  142 Boot Rom/ HPE Comware Software, Version 7.1.045, Release 3111P02.

The switchs have actually never been updated and i was wondering if there was a "prefered"  upgrade roadmap since there is actually more that 35 solftware releases between the soft we run and the latest and I have not found a Boot Rom/soft release matrix in order to know which release to choose in between.

If you are using these swithes, which release are you currently running ?

Thank you in advance for your help on this matter.

F. Cavanna

7 REPLIES 7
bala5
Frequent Advisor

Hi ,

For comware upgradation there is no special roadmap, you can move to any firmware unless the frimware contains .btm file 

which is for upgrade the bootrom. but its very rare case.

Bala
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

network_king
HPE Pro

Hi Cavanna, Thanks for using hpe community forums

I could see latest release version as 3208P10 which needs bootrom Version 147 or higher.

Latest version release notes : https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00056670en_us

Release R3115 support bootrom version 145 

Please let use know which version you would like to upgrade..? I would say consider upgrade only if there is a bug fix / feature release 

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hello, as you can read on Software Maintenance & Support Policy "Recommended & Minimum Software Versions for HPE FlexFabric Switch Products" (June 2018), no minimum/recommended firmware versions were declared/specified for your JG934A HPE 5130 48G 4SFP+ EI Switch (in general for HPE 5130 Switch series)...so it's always better to stay updated by using the very latest Comware 7 operating system version released for your platform (Comware 7 IPE file contains Boot ROM so - once you follow upgrade instructions on relevant Release Notes - the Switch takes care of updating it before proceeding with the System ROM update). IMHO you should upgrade to latest R3208P10 (always read Release Notes).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
fcavanna
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Parnassus. I agree with your PoV and I usually upgrade networking equipements regularly and at least for every major release.

My issue here is that I have not being managing that particular equipment before and if I want to upgrade to R3208P10  which requires Boot Rom 147 or higher, I need to know which prior releases to install in order to "climb" the Boot Rom version in order (that's what I call the upgrade roadmap)

For example : 5130_7.10.R3111P03 requires 142 or higher -> but what will be the Boot Rom version once I will have installed it ? I can't find the information., and I need it if I want to choose between installting 5130EI-CMW710-R3113P05 (requires 145 or higher) or directly R3208P10  (147 or higher)... I don't know if my explanation makes sense, and myabe the information is somewhere in the Release Notes but I can't figure ot out.

I have 10 switches to upgrade and I would really like to download the least number of releases possible.

Thank you again for your help.

F. Cavanna

jaysta
Advisor
Solution

Hi,

We have a number of HP 5130 EI switches in our network estate in IRF mode and stand alone and I can concur that you don't have to do the same as you would normally have done (in my experience) for Comware 5 and possibly cw3. You had to ensure that the correct Bootrom version was installed before moving to the next firmware update and so on.

With ipe files for Comware 7 if there's a new Bootrom version to go on then this will be updated automatically out of the files extracted from the ipe file on restart (bootup) of the switch and this applies to both stand-alone or IRF mode. I thought I had a console dump of a switch booting up doing this but I must have delered it.

There's usually enough room on the flash storage to keep the previous to latest firmware on as a backup too.

Oh, my 5130 switches are on 3208P08 for the stand alone switches and the IRF stack is still on 3116P02 and both firmwares are running on Bootrom v147.

Hope this helps...

parnassus
Honored Contributor

@fcavanna wrote: For example : 5130_7.10.R3111P03 requires 142 or higher -> but what will be the Boot Rom version once I will have installed it ? I can't find the information., and I need it if I want to choose between installting 5130EI-CMW710-R3113P05 (requires 145 or higher) or directly R3208P10  (147 or higher)... I don't know if my explanation makes sense, and myabe the information is somewhere in the Release Notes but I can't figure ot out.

No...each software release (eventually) provides a new System BootROM...this means that when a software release has a different - newer - System BootROM it also means that that software release (via IPE file) is embedding/providing it so your Switch is able to proceed with the upgrade procedure and it will update both the System BootROM (first) - if necessary - and the System Software Image (second).

Release Notes will help you understand whay I wrote above.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
fcavanna
Occasional Visitor

OK, noted, I am glad I asked the community :)

Thank you all for your help.

F. Cavanna