3748 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

reset hardware JG236A

grenzo
Frequent Advisor

reset hardware JG236A

Hi,

I have an JG236A crashing in the CLI interface. is it possible to do a hardware reset?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Re: reset hardware JG236A

Hi @grenzo !

Do you want to delete current configuration and boot with the default one? At what step the CLI crashes? Could you paste the session output here so I can see what is going on before it crashes and how exactly does it crash?

Otherwise, if you use Bootrom you have Option 5 - Restore to factory default configuration:

Starting......
Press Ctrl+D to access BASIC BOOT MENU
Press Ctrl+T to start memory test
********************************************************************************
*                                                                              *
*                 HP A5120-24G SI Switch BOOTROM, Version 171                  *
*                                                                              *
********************************************************************************
Copyright (c) 2010-2015 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

Creation Date       : Jan 15 2015
CPU L1 Cache        : 32KB
CPU Clock Speed     : 333MHz
Memory Size         : 128MB
Flash Size          : 128MB
CPLD Version        : 002
PCB Version         : Ver.B
Mac Address         : 20FDF1EB0899

Press Ctrl-B to enter Extended Boot menu...0
BootRom password: Not required. Please press Enter to continue.

Password recovery capability is enabled.

BOOT MENU

1. Download application file to flash
2. Select application file to boot
3. Display all files in flash
4. Delete file from flash
5. Restore to factory default configuration
6. Enter BootRom upgrade menu
7. Skip current system configuration
8. Reserved
9. Set switch startup mode
0. Reboot
Ctrl+F: Format File System
Ctrl+P: Skip Super Password
Ctrl+R: Download application to SDRAM and Run
Ctrl+Z: Access EXTEND-ASSISTANT MENU

Enter your choice(0-9):

But that will help you only if there is something wrong with the configuration itself. If the issue is related to incorrect software and switch cannot boot up to the CLI, then it's pointless to reset the config - you need to upload correct image.

Therefore, despite the fact I provided you an option, let's see what is really wrong with your device, otherwise we are just guessing here.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

grenzo
Frequent Advisor

crashes here

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................OK!

User interface aux0 is available.

Press ENTER to get started.

----

Press ENTER but nothing happens...

i tried it on 2 switches and it does the same...

Ivan_B
HPE Pro

It is not a crash, the software loads correctly, there is no error. If two switches behave the same, almost 100% the issue is in your PC, in your terminal client software settings or in your serial cable. If you use USB-to-Serial it also should be checked. As for now it seems to be a problem with sending key strokes over the serial link and has nothing to do with reset to factory defaults. BTW, you can prove that the keystrokes aren't send - reboot the switch and try to enter the bootrom menu. I bet it won't work, because Ctrl+D nor Ctrl-B won't be sent out over the cable.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo