Comware Based
1747980 Members
4599 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Stacking two 2910AL 48 ports - what happens to my Vlans configured on switch after stacking happens?

sfd sdfsd
Occasional Contributor

Stacking two 2910AL 48 ports - what happens to my Vlans configured on switch after stacking happens?

Hello,

I have two core switches..

I have VLAN's configured on Switch A and plugged into those VLANS are my VMWARE hosts and Storage.  

I also have a SWITCH B cofigured the same as SWITCH A as far as VLANS goes...port assignments etc... I have the odd number ports set as my Default VLANS..and my even port numbers configured for my various VLAN's.

My question is.. What happens to the VLAN configuration on the Switches once I stack the two switches using a 10GB interconnect kit.

I read that only Default VLANS are used on Stacked switches?  I'm confused by that statement found here.

http://www.hp.com/rnd/device_help/help/hpwnd/webhelp/HPJ4121A/configuration_stacking.htm

Thanks,

Dan

1 REPLY 1
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Stacking two 2910AL 48 ports - what happens to my Vlans configured on switch after stacking happ

Stacking is purely for convenience of management, on the traditional Procurve range. The switches discover each other over the network using a private Layer-2 protocol; there doesn't need to be a direct connection to form a stack. It is not really helpful to think of stack ports.

Turn off stacking (if only in your  head) a minute. When you connect your two switches together, if you want to share multiple VLANs between them you need to have all the relevant VLANs (or all but one) tagged on the link between the two switches.

What the note about stacking is saying, is that the switches only announce themselves on their default VLAN, so that it's possible to have two switches physically connected that don't `stack'. However, this is purely for management purposes.