4088 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Connecting MSA2000 to DL580G5

willholt89
Occasional Contributor

Connecting MSA2000 to DL580G5

Hi,

I have been tasked with installing an MSA 2000 into a rack and connecting it up to a DL580 G5 server.

What i would like to know is how to attach this piece of kit to the server. Will i need a smart array or HBA and will this need to be SAS or fibre. Below i have included pictures of the part in question.

7 REPLIES 7
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Looks like you have an MSA2012fc disk array.   You will need a fibre channel (4Gb) HBA to attach (that SAS port you see is for an expansion disk tray).  The array is managed through either its serial port interface or through a web based connection.

To set this up, first attach to the serial connection and use the "set network-parameters" command to set up the network connection.   See below for some data I have on this:

--------------------------------------

Connect to the serial port of the disk array using a terminal or terminal emulator such as HyperTerm or PuTTy.   The serial connection settings are as follows:

Baud Rate:      115,200

Data bits:         8

Parity:              none

Stop bits:         1

Flow:               None/Off

Terminal

Emulation:       VT-100 or ANSI

Connect to Controller A and press ENTER to get to a # prompt.

Use the following command to set up the management LAN port:

# set network-parameters ip address netmask netmask gateway gateway controller a|b

where:

1. address is the IP address of the controller
  2. netmask is the subnet mask
  3. gateway is the IP address of the subnet route
  4. a|b specifies the controller whose network parameters you are setting

Verify the settings with:

# show network-parameters

Reset the management controllers for the network changes to take affect (your connection will reset):

# restart mc both

Accessing the Storage Management Utility (SMU)

Enter the IP address of the controller into a web browser (ex http://192.168.220.173 )

The default login is manage / !manage

Disable any popup blockers and be sure Java is enabled.

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
willholt89
Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert,

Thankyou for your quick reply, the only problem i have is that i have no serial cable to fit the serial connection in hte back. do you know what serial cable i need to do this?

Regards

Will

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Its called a micro-DB9.   The system would have came with an adapter, but you can get them elsewhere.

-Bob

----------------
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The FC ports on the left are for connecting the host, the SAS ports on the right for expansion modules.

By default, the management IP address is set to DHCP - if not available to fail back to 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.3.

Credentials are manage/!manage.

Good luck!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
willholt89
Occasional Contributor

Thanks guys so much for replying. Just waiting for a cable to be shipped out. This MSA was second hand with no cable. Figures that it would be!

Ill let you know how i get on

willholt89
Occasional Contributor

Hi Guys,

Just an update.

With your help i have managed to cinfugre the IP and get onto the SMU. However i am not able to see the drives on the Host machine, connected with a HBA and fibre cable.

I am also struggling to locate the firmware software for this part (AJ751A) do you know where i can get the firmware and also why i cannot see the drives? I am using a PTP connection

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Not sure what you have done so far to configure the array, but there are several steps needed to get the host to see the storage.  In basics...

- create the vdisks - this is where you setup the physical disks in a particular RAID group (1, 5, 5+0, etc).

- create the volumes - this is where you can carve out a part of the vdisk to make a LUN.  You can make one volume consisting of the entire vdisk or several smaller ones.

- map the volume to ports so that the volume(s) you created can be presented to the hosts.

The following link to the msa2000 reference guide contains all the details:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01565941/c01565941.pdf

Regarding the firmware, you mention part AJ751A.  This is an I/O module for the MSA2000 expansion enclosure.  The firmware for this is found on the MSA2000 support site.  Try this link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3687119&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3687115&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4064

Else, go to www.hp.com/go/bizsupport, click Software and Drivers and then navigate to your product.

The reference guide I mentioned above has info about firmware updates.

-Bob

----------------