Disk Enclosures
1752587 Members
4155 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: D2600 DAS w/ amber fault-LED, green health-LED, fans on 100% but no apparent fault

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nisimoto
Occasional Contributor

D2600 DAS w/ amber fault-LED, green health-LED, fans on 100% but no apparent fault

I have a D2600 filled with 12x2TB 7200RPM HP SAS drives. The drives are the original ones that the array was delivered with, and I bought it used from a refurbisher. These are genuine HP drives.

When it's starting up the fans go to 100% (this is normal), then suddenly down to silent levels, then ramping up to 100% again. It stays like this forever, with an amber fault-LED and a green health-LED.

No individual components show any sign of error, everything is lighting up green. I/O modules show address 01. Disk array works with the connected DL380 G6 housing a HP P410i RAID card. I've got the disks setup in RAID5 with 18TB of total storage. Runs fine, no write/read problems. I've tried with different I/O modules, PSUs and without disks. Removing the fan modules gives a health error, obviously.

There seems to be no problem with it what-so-ever, but it keeps complaining about something. I could suspect a temperature sensor or a faulty temp readout from any of the drives, but I'm not sure. No errors on POST and in the RAID BIOS, iLO sees the disks as healthy and no further info.

I've tried removing all the drives, and inserting them one by one, even re-arranged and re-configured them since there's no data on them yet.

What could be the culprit? How do I diagnose this DAS? I don't mind the noise it makes since it's in a dedicated server room for my homelab, but I'm worried the fan modules (and PSU fan) might fail after a while. 

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
ASHOKA_Shankar
Advisor

Re: D2600 DAS w/ amber fault-LED, green health-LED, fans on 100% but no apparent fault

Hello Nisimoto,                                  

Good Day.

Even though it is a new installation if I understand the current situation. as of now you are able to access the data from the Storage. that means no cabling issues and you have tried checking with each and every PSUs and the FANS as well.

That even the hardware part of PSU and FAN being faulty is been ruled out.

So anything that can cause issue would be either the temperature sensor is faulty or we need to get the complete ACU report from the JBOD which will give an idea on what causing the issue.

I request you to contact HPE Chat support as it is a refurbished setup. So that they can analyze the logs and suggest you accordingly.

Regards,

Ashoka  S

Nisimoto
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Hi,

I've resolved the problem but this post was marked as spam so I couldn't reply to it. I inserted two 750W PSUs and it went quiet. For some reason it didn't want to be quiet with two 460W PSUs, but as soon as I inserted two 750W PSUs it resolved itself. Then I removed one 750W while running, inserted a 460W, then removed the last 750W and inserted another 460W. It's quiet now.

There must've been some issues with the PSU controller board, as it seems like it needed different PSUs to properly register them. Whenever I remove one PSU, the fans goes up again.

The ACU report actually didn't report any error even with the PSU issue, which is weird.

Thank you for replying.

Pir_8
Occasional Visitor

i had same issue after power outage, just all of a sudden aber light, same loud fan noise anlong with the fans increasingly step up speed. found that someone may have used a PC power cord, replaced with thicker gage power cord and unit stopped screaming at me - also reseated both PSUs as well.