1752793 Members
6269 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error whilst trying to release LU path on XP12k

Paul Hawkins
Frequent Advisor

Error whilst trying to release LU path on XP12k

I'm trying to release some paths in a hostgroup on an XP12000 using commandview but I get the following error:-

The LDEV is being used by the host or an error occurred in the array controller procedure. Recovery processing can take about 1 minute. Please wait a little....

I've never seen this before, any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
it could be that the LDEV
a) is mounted on the host side
b) CA replicated
or so...
the pain is one part of the reality
Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor

This is also very common in clusters. Is the LUN you are trying to release in a cluster?

Often the driver does not release the SCSI PR correctly. If its a real headache you should be able to get HP to release this from the SVP, but Im fairly certain this requires a one-time password so you cant do it yourself.

If it is from a cluster and you provide the details I "might" be able to give a command or two that will forcibly release it from the cluster software.
Talk about the XP and EVA @ http://blog.nigelpoulton.com
Paul Hawkins
Frequent Advisor

It's not a cluster. I'm going to ask the admin to shutdown the server and I can try again. Just a pain to reschedule the change window. But Nigel, are you saying this lock might be only something HP can release via the SVP?
Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor

No, only if it was a SCSI reserve (which clusters use to protect disks).

Sounds like you have a host that still has hold on the disk (trickle I/O that is enough to make the XP think the LUN is still in use). Are you using Automap of LUNs on your HBA?

If its trickle IO then you have other options such as downing the SAN port that the LUN is presented on. The XP will let you remove the LUN on every path except the last path (the one with the IO).

This way, you can remove the LUN on all paths except the one affected, schedule a convenient time to disable the SAN port that the LUN is still presented on, but keep your server up on a single path, and remove the LUN while you are guaranteed to have no IO to it (SAN port disabled == no IO).

Nigel
Talk about the XP and EVA @ http://blog.nigelpoulton.com