3349 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA 8100 with Business copy snapshots size

SOLVED
Go to solution
Neil diesel_1

EVA 8100 with Business copy snapshots size

We have 2 EVA 8100 with business copy and are utilizing the snapshot feature to take daily snapshots of a disk for backup and restore purposes.
The disk is 2TB in size and presented to a windows 2003 server acting as the file server. the disk is about 85% full. We have an sssu script that does the daily snapshot and keeps them for one week. This all works but the issue is the size of the snapshots they average about 300GB a day. As most of the data on this disk is old data and not used daily this was a surprise. I need to find some information on how snapshots work so I can explain why the snapshots are this size as there is no way we can be changing that amount of data in a day ( especially on the weekend)

any help and imformation appriciated
thanks
4 REPLIES 4
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: EVA 8100 with Business copy snapshots size

The firmware copies data to the snapshot in 1 MB chunks. If the server is performing small modifications on many files, the amount of data copied to the snapshot can be bigger than the data written to disk.

Also in Windows, disable "NTFS Last Access Time Stamp", this makes one write each time you read a file.
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor
Neil diesel_1

Thanks for the information
Is there any more information on the 1MB chunks like a white paper or similar as I need to convince my manager that snapshots are functioning as they should
thanks
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

Hi Neil,

This whitepaper should satisfy your needs, go through the guide..