4639 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

FCIP (MPX110) setup--WWN zoning

Ann Ayson
Advisor

FCIP (MPX110) setup--WWN zoning

Ok, where do I start?

I have two MPX110 FCIP gateways that I'm trying to install and configure so that I can get two EVA8100's to replicate to each other. I've been reading the install guide ad naseum but I find a lot of the instructions unclear. For example the instructions say to "use WWN zoning". Uh...zone what? All the WWN's for both EVA's? (I believe this is the answer solely because I found someone else mention this on this forum). What about the FCIP ports themselves, do these need to be added into those zones???

Secondly, could someone out there who has a B-series switch let me know what a "switchshow", "portshow", and "portcfgshow" shows for the FCIP port? I followed the instructions as to what needs to be done to the B-series switch for the FCIP port but I have no idea if what I'm seeing when I do a switchshow is correct. The setup I did was:

switchdisable
iodset
aptpolicy 1
portCfgISLMode 8,1 (8 being the port the FCIP gateway is plugged into)
portCfgGport 8,1
switchenable

I did the above on both switches (4/256 Director Switches) which are in this fabric (I'm only talking about one EVA 8100 at this point).

When I do a "switchshow" I see for port 8:

N2 In_Sync (I don't see a WWN number)

When I do a "portshow 8"

The portstate is offline.

a "portcfgshow 8" shows that this port is Trunking set to ON, Locked G_Port set to ON, ISL R_RDY Mode on, NPIV capability ON.

So, if there is someone out there with the same setup do the settings I list above look correct? (are they the same as your FCIP port).

16 REPLIES 16
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: FCIP (MPX110) setup--WWN zoning

Ann:

I've set these gateways up successfully before. Let me see if I can help you out.

1st: The fibre port will not come online until you configure a link between the 2 gateways (as fas as I can remember). Have you done this yet?

2nd: The port should not have Trunking turned on (again as far as I can remember).

At this point in time, I do not have FCiP Gateways in my demo room, but I do have them in a box. I will see if I can set them up tomorrow to assist some, but I'll be working a lot of other issues so I may not get to it.

As far as zoning is concerned, you should not need to include the gateways in any zone as they should appear as ISL's to the switches.

For your EVA's, you will need to create 2 zones, 1 for the FP3 ports in both fabrics and one for the FP4 ports in both fabrics... assuming you want to dedicate these 2 ports to CA.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Additionally... make sure the firmware is up to date on the mpx's.

What XCS are you running on the EVA's?

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Ann Ayson
Advisor

Steven,

You have no idea how helpful your information has been to me, thank you!

I have not set up the second gateway so that explains why the port isn't showing up as active yet. The gateway I did set up is connected to an EVA that is not yet in production so I had no qualms about messing around with things. The other gateway is on our only production EVA and the fact that I have to make changes to the switches which require a "switchdisable" gave me pause. I wanted to double-check that I wasn't setting thing incorrectly on the switch (even though I followed the instructions to the letter) before disabling the switch. All servers connected to the production EVA have redundancy via the two switches in the fabric, but I still get nervous about disabling one of the switches. I want to make SURE I'm doing things right so I don't screw something up.

You asked what version of XCS I'm using. I'm not sure what you mean by XCS (sorry, I'm an EMC storage person who's just learning the EVA).

Thanks again!
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

XCS is the TLA for the controller firmware:

eXcellerated Controller Software

The precursor was called VCS:

Virtual Controller Software

You can see it on the storage system's properties page in Command View EVA.

TLA? Three-Letter Acronym ;-)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Ann:

You do not need to make the setting changes to the switch to just play around with the gateways. They should work just fine, but when you want to put CA int production, you definitely need to make the changes.

Now.. the only thing would be when you do make a connection between the gateways, the switches will try to merge and if they are successful, you will have completed a 2 domain fabric. Make sure your DomainID's are unique.

Your XCS version can be found via the front Operator Control Palen on the EVA or from Command View. Command View is the easiest, just log in and check the initial page that comes up when you click on your EVA. Probable something like 6.100 or 6.110 or 6.200.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Ann Ayson
Advisor

Steven,

The XCS version of the EVA's is 6110. The firmware for the Director switch is 6.0.0b which I'll be upgraded to 6.1.0d this evening.

So are you saying that the remote fabric and the local fabric will try to merge??
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"So are you saying that the remote fabric and the local fabric will try to merge??"

Yes.
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Ann Ayson
Advisor

Boy do I feel stupid about this whole thing, I feel like I'm flying blind here. Oh well, at least I have some downtime tomorrow to try and get this thing set up while production is down.

Thanks again for all your help.
Ann Ayson
Advisor

I give up. I've got the two FCIP's pinging each other so they can get to each other via the network, but I can't see the storage arrays under Control Center. I have 4 switches, 2 for the remote EVA and 2 for the local EVA. On each side, remote and local, one of each switch has a status of "no sync" for the FCIP port, and one of each switch displays the port as a loopback port. I've zoned the switches on both ends to see the EVA controllers but when I go into Command View and do a "discover" I can't see the other storage array. Do I need to zone the Windows box running Command View as well? In other words, for the local EVA command view to see the remote EVA, do I need to zone the local EVA management station with the FCP ports on the remote EVA?

I don't want to keep bugging you with all of this so I'll stop asking questions. If you could just let me know if you remember the FCIP ports showing up as loopback ports on the switches I'd appreciate it.