Disk Enclosures
1747980 Members
4698 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE 3700 enclosure as shared storage for two HPE ProLiant DL380p with HPE 421 Smart Array Contro

dirklehmannkg
Advisor

HPE 3700 enclosure as shared storage for two HPE ProLiant DL380p with HPE 421 Smart Array Controller

Dear Sir or Madam,

I was wondering if you might let us know how to use a HPE D3700 enclosure with 4 ssd storage in Bay 1 Slot 1 to 4 as a shared storage with two (two nodes) HPE ProLiant DL380p with HPE 421 Smart Array Controller in each of the HPE ProLiant DL380p.

We have cabled the storage to the controllers and physical disks where found at each HPE 421 Smart Array Controller, but after setting up a RAID6 logical drive the drive seems to be crashed and is not shown within the Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 Server Operatingsystem.

I was wondering if someone might give us the hint how to get the HPE D3700 enclosure up an running as a 2 node shared storage?

Best regards,

Dirk Lehmann

5 REPLIES 5
Thomas Martin
Trusted Contributor

Re: HPE 3700 enclosure as shared storage for two HPE ProLiant DL380p with HPE 421 Smart Array Contro

It is not possible to use a standalone D3700 enclosure as shared storage system for Windows Operating Systems. Its not supported. You cant manage such an enclosure with array controllers in two servers. You get a corrupted filesystem if 2 Windows servers access the same hard disk at the same time. You need a Storage System with integrated Controllers like MSA20xx. You have also to use MS Clusterservices to access the hard disk. The cluster services manage the access for each physical server.

Thomas

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Looks like it is possible with controllers in HBA mode, SAS disks only and special clustering software that provides a cluster aware filesystem, follow

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c05030620&docLocale=en_US

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
dirklehmannkg
Advisor

Is written: "Best practices for running Microsoft Windows Storage Spaces: HP ProLiant Gen9 servers for Storage Spaces technical paper" but does this also work als "Best practices for running Microsoft Windows Storage Spaces: HP ProLiant Gen8 servers for Storage Spaces white paper" ?

dirklehmannkg
Advisor

Can I use one HP P2000 enclosure and two HPE H221 HBA instead in the both HPE ProLiants (DL380p Gen8) to mount two LUNs out of the enclosure parallely by both cluster nodes (ProLiants with the mentioned H221 HBAs)?

Are other second hand (cheaper) HP/HPE Enclosures usable, instead of HP P2000 in those HPE ProLiants Gen 8 and which other HBA might be used further?

Exists there a matrix of server, controller and enclosure combinations might used for a shared storage (mountable common LUNs at both ProLiants) to compare advantages/disadvantages, scalability, performance and (second hand) pricing?

I was wondering if I/we get further infos and details, because not having Care Packs and prefering building this with seamless components of one manufacturer (HPE).

Best regards,

Dirk
ChrisKolti
Advisor

@dirklehmannkg,

hi i am using the D2000 with HBA cards connected to a DL380G8 without any problems. I can map the Host drives from the D2000 on the DL380 and can copy data over.

if you have more questions just let me know.

Regards,

Chris