108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: msa-1000 acu

SOLVED
Go to solution
Carlos_172
Frequent Advisor

msa-1000 acu

Is there an "array configuration utility" for HP-UX to controll MSA-1000?

Thanks a lot
15 REPLIES 15
raadek
Honored Contributor
Solution

I don't think so. HP support pages state clearly:
"NOTE: The ACU is available for the following operating systems:
* Windows
* Linux
* NetWare (offline)"
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
raadek
Honored Contributor

Maybe it will be helpful:

"HP-UX support
Command Line Interface (CLI) is used for configuration and Event Monitoring Service (EMS) for monitoring.
Root/Boot/Dump/Swap/Install is also supported."
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Carlos_172
Frequent Advisor

Is it possible to share several logical units drives or volumes among several hosts whith different operating systems (at least 3)?

Thanks a lot.
raadek
Honored Contributor

Carlos,

If you are asking specifically about the MSA 1000, then the answer is yes, but not with every OS.

I.e. if one of the hosts runs HP-UX or SCO you cannot mix OS'es:
"HP-UX PA-Risc and Itanium-based server support ... limited, homogeneous configurations.
SCO UnixWare support - ... single controller 2-node homogeneous configurations."

Rgds.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Carlos_172
Frequent Advisor

Raadek, our case is:

2 HP-UX Hosts and 1 windows 2003 server.
raadek
Honored Contributor

So it's plain & simple - you can attach these 2 (or even more) HP-UX hosts, but then any host running different OS (like Win2k3) cannot be connected.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Carlos_172
Frequent Advisor

OK. It's clear.
Another simply question. Now, we have six disks in raid-5 locating from box bay 1 to box bay 6. Is it mandatory to locate new disk (if I want to create a new LUN) from bay 7 to bay 14?, and can I create it (new LUN) when existing LUN is in use?

Thanks a lot, folks.
raadek
Honored Contributor

You can create a new LUN when another one(s) is (are) on-line.

Re hard drives order:
That's depends on how your drive enclosure (the MSA 30) is connected to the controller shelf (actual MSA 1000). If you use single-port I/O module, then no issues at all - you could plug a disk in any free bay. If you use dual-port I/O module, then bear in mind that bays 1 to 7 are connected to SCSI bus 1 & bays 8 to 14 to SCSI bus 2. However if you have both SCSI channels connected to the MSA 1000, then again - no issues re hard drive position.

But using just common sense I would plug them in order.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Carlos_172
Frequent Advisor

Raadek,

I have talked whith HP support. They say that it's possible to mix different os's in the same MSA, even Windows 2003 and HP-UX. What does it mean "homogeneous environment"??

Thanks a lot.