Disk Enclosures
1752298 Members
5147 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA2012i on vSphere HCL for Software iSCSI?

Ryan Schurman
Occasional Contributor

MSA2012i on vSphere HCL for Software iSCSI?

I have missed several deadlines on upgrading to VMware vSphere because our MSA2012i is not certified for Software iSCSI with ESX 4.0 and later. Does anybody know if it is even going to happen? Has HP just ditched this model to the curb in hope we buy new controllers? Management wants answers but I have been unable to get a response from HP. Has anybody heard anything?
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

this is not a problem of HP, this is a problem of VMware. They doesn't support their software initiator with the MSA2012i. You can use hardware initiators from Qlogic to get support. Try to get an answer of the Vmware support. Maybe they will certify it in the future.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
John York

We just had cases open with HP and VMware about this issue. One HP tech told us that MSA2012i was listed as supported for vSphere in their database. A second HP tech told us that the footnote on the VMware HCL mentioning LSILogic driver actually referred to the software driver. This sounded sketchy, so we opened a case with VMware to confirm it. VMware did confirm that:

The LsiLogic part refers to the VM's. They must be set to Lsilogic not Buslogic. So the software initiator part works fine with that array just make sure to use the Lsilogic not the buslogic for the VM's.

So, it looks like we're good to go for MSA2012i's and vSphere. It doesn't look like it will do the ALUA stuff, but at least it will run and be supported.
Ryan Schurman
Occasional Contributor

Thanks John. Did either VMware or HP say why they haven't posted their support of the MSA2012i in ESX 4.0 with SW iSCSI in the VMware Compatibility Guide or the HP SPOCK site yet?
elkhornps
Occasional Contributor

JohnYork,

I think you also posted on the VMware forums here:
http://communities.vmware.com/message/1503066

I have a case open with vmware right now referencing that post. They are just sending me to the HCL list like I can't read. lol

Would you be able to post your two case numbers so that I could reference them in my ticket. I may also try to start another one with HP and reference both as well.

Also, Per this forum, Ryan is here in Omaha at another location and he did move ahead with vSphere and hasn't had any problems yet.

Thanks
Jason