108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Physical connection requirements for EVA to EVA migrations

SOLVED
Go to solution
William Shaw
Frequent Advisor

Physical connection requirements for EVA to EVA migrations

Hello, this is probably a simple question and answer but I cannot seem to find any doc or reference to guide me here. Will be migrating data off of an older EVA 8100 to a new 8400. I have found some good info in these forums on this topic. What I can't find is how the backend connections should be made.

So the question is simply what are the physical connection requirements to get 2 EVAs to talk to each other? Do I run both EVAs into a SAN switch and zone them together? (generally speaking, targets don't talk to each other, so I am guessing no here). Is there a special back end port for mirroring/migrating? More than 1 option to choose from?

Any specific info appreciated, especially relevant documentation.

TIA.
7 REPLIES 7
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Even though you made the zoning between EVAs, you can't do a migration as this is a licensed feature and requires EVA Contineous Access License to migrate the data between EVA(EVA Replication)

If license is there, yes we need to made the zone between EVA host ports so that they can talk to each other and you can create a DR Group(Group of Vdisk that can be replicated to target EVA).

You can dedicate Single/2 ports on each controller for replication. For this you need to do the zone between the Host ports as like below

Zone: EVA8100_CON_A_FP3; EVA8400_CON_A_FP3;
Zone: EVA8100_CON_A_FP4; EVA8400_CON_A_FP4;
Zone: EVA8100_CON_B_FP3; EVA8400_CON_B_FP3;
Zone: EVA8100_CON_B_FP4; EVA8400_CON_B_FP4;

So that source and destination EVAs can talk by using these ports.

You can search for "HP StorageWorks Continuous Access EVA Planning guide" which gives a complete picture about the other dependencies

There are some services offered from HP for data migration

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/5982-4107EN.pdf

William Shaw
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the info. It sounds like I am on the right track. We do have the CA license so we are OK there. I can't seem to find the "planning guide" you mentioned but have found some other relevant docs by doing that search. Thanks again for the info on zoning the appropriate controller and fp ports.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

That information has moved to:

- HP StorageWorks Continuous Access EVA implementation guide
T3680-96389__20100718 - August 2010) [7ed] - c02491009
William Shaw
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the updated reference, but still cannot find the specific document. Any chance you can attach it, or give me the exact URL?

Also, related to the above zoning recommendation, do I have to zone the same ports together, ie: CA/FP1 <-> CA/FP1 or could I do

CA/FP1 <-> CA/FP2

or even

CA/FP1 <-> CB/FP2

Thanks again.
William Shaw
Frequent Advisor

I have zoned up the appropriate EVA ports, I am going from CA/FP4 to CA/FP4 and CB/FP4 to CB/FP4 on both arrays. I have zones them together but I am not sure what I have to do next to get the EVAs to "see" each other. Continuous Access license applied on both systems. When I try to create a DR group, it knows the 2nd EVA exists, and points to it, but after I click on "create" button I get the error:

Operation Failed! The local storage system has no available path to the remote storage system.

There must be some option in command view, or config step, or something, after the zone is setup, to get the 2 arrays to see each other. Any advice?

Thanks again.
William Shaw
Frequent Advisor

SBY76
Visitor

Zone requirements for EVA to EVA migrations

I have a HP 6300 EVA and I am trying to replicate to a EVA4400 using CA.

Both SAN's are licensed with CA. Each SAN has 2 controllers with 2 fibre ports.

I have merged Brocade SAN switches and both SAN's appear together in Command View P6300.

When I try to setup a Data Replication group I get an error telling me that there are no remote connections available

Although, on the Data Replication tab in vdisk properties both SAN's are recognised. I can setup the DR group to the point where I get another error "operation failed the local storage system has no available path to the remote storage system"

In terms of zoning, do I need to dedicate one port on each controller or is there something else I may be missing in the configuration?