New Discussion юеВ

Re: FCA2101 Firmware & fc2101 with Continuous access

SOLVED
Go to solution
martin_113
Occasional Advisor

FCA2101 Firmware & fc2101 with Continuous access

Hi

I have been in the process of update some firmware on the FCA2101 HBAs with mixed results.
What is most reliable way to do this from within Windows if possible?
Using the lputil.exe to download the new firmware to the HBA has caused on several occasions the firmware image has become corrupt on download and the HBAs now needs to be returned to Emulex/HP as they are dead.
The lp6dutil.exe works OK from a dos boot disk, is it reliable from windows?
Is there a best practise I should be following for this?

Existing firmware 3.82a1
New firmware 3.92a2
Windows 2000 sp4

Secondly whilst reading some other documentation on the HP Web site about EVA5000 and Continuous Access. I read something about the FCA2101 HBA in a CA solution causing one path to hang until the server is restarted. Is there a resolution to this and or a customer advisory from HP? As I can not find this information again?

Thanks In Advance
Martin
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

So far I have always done an offline upgrade (when the operating system was done) and never had a blown adapter. (Knock on wood ;-)

Haven't heard about the CA problem, but I do remember a problem with an adapter that wasn't on current firmware and failed to reestablish a link with the switch. Only fix was to reboot the server, but that wasn't in a CA environment.
Urban Petry
Valued Contributor

Martin,

where exactly did you read this information about the FCA2101 problem in combination with CA? I haven't heard about any such problems, but am very interested because we're running such an environment here. So far we had no problems like the ones you describe (which unfortunately does not mean we didn't have any :)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

I've recently gone over the CA-EVA documentation and there is such a problem mentioned, but it talks aout the DS-KGPSA-CB (1 GigaBit) adapter.
martin_113
Occasional Advisor

I have followed the advice from Uwe Zessin and Only do Firmware update when the OS is down.
D Conorozzo

I had the same thing happen on an online update of the FW from the same version to the same version. HP didn't even want to talk to me b/c I am out of warranty. The manufacturer doesn't want to talk to me b/c it is an HP part. When I did finally talk to someone at HP, they said that this has never happened before and that they have no cases of this logged.

The problem is that I am stuck with a dead card, out $300, and am afraid to update the firmware on the rest of them (7 others, which MS has recommended due to some SQL errors). I am pretty unhappy with HP lately since I am out of warranty, a bunch of stuff started breaking that should not have and I am beginning to suspect engineering problems.

Please let me know if you ever successfully updated under the DOS utility and provide as much detail as possible (like which utility, from where, what version, did you run download of the .prg from HP or from the manufacturer or just the boot image). Thanks.