1752712 Members
5475 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Is there a way to tell which LUNs are on which RSS? EVA4000 CommandView 9.3

jruffer
Trusted Contributor

Is there a way to tell which LUNs are on which RSS? EVA4000 CommandView 9.3

We have some performance issues and it would help greatly if we knew which LUNs were on the same RSS.

Jeremy

4 REPLIES 4
hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

Details on RSS is available in the logs but decoding it required additional tools with support.

However, RSS has no impact on the performance. For performance issues you should be looking to check the ownership of vdisks with controllers and if there are any impending HW issues. EVAPerf available part of Command View can be used to monitor performance.

@jruffer wrote:

We have some performance issues and it would help greatly if we knew which LUNs were on the same RSS.

Jeremy

Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!
jruffer
Trusted Contributor

I've looked at EVAperf and I don't see how it helps me.  It produces a load of figures that are no use unless you have a tool to help.

I am aware of the existence of such a tool but we don't have the platform it runs on.

Jeremy

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

All vdisks/LUNs in a disk group will share all the disks in said disk group.

If you always have had an even amount of physical disks and they are of the same size, the vdisk will be equally spread over all the disks.

HP Support has/had a tool that can utilize the csv-output of evaperf and generate a relatively visually appealing report that can tell you if for example a disk is a hot spot.

With EVAPerf real time monitor you can quite easily see if for example load is higher on one controller's ports.

If it is, you could change ownership of the vdisks so that the load is more evenly balanced.

Sebastian.Koehler
Honored Contributor

The Vdisks in a single disk group always share them same RSS. The question has to be what Vdisks share the same disk group which can be displayed easily in CV. In most of the cases the LUNs are not balanced equally among the controllers, multipathing is not setup correctly or a single application draws all the power of your disk group. This is something you can find out with EVAperf as long you spend some time on it.

If I remember correctly, CV 9.30 offers CSV export of your configuration. Select the EVA in question -> System Options -> Export reports. A complete XML configuration dump of the EVA is available under Server options -> Capture system information -> just select Controller Configuration Dump.

Regards,
Sebastian