New Discussion юеВ

Re: Minimum required banwith for CA

SOLVED
Go to solution
manamirhastam
Frequent Advisor

Minimum required banwith for CA

Hi everybody,
We are going to use CA as replication solution between two EVA4000.
We are looking for minimum required bandwith for sync and async mode.
Please share your experiences or documents.
Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

That is like asking how long should a piece of string be.

HP has tools to help estimate the performance based on such things as:
* total amount of data to be copied (TB)
* Read/Write ratio (Read %)
* Average data write (KB)
* Link bandwidth (Mbps)
* average latency between sites
* Command View EVA software version

From that can be estimated the average time (days?) for the initial full copy.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

You need to get with your HP reseller and see if they can work with the Storage Architect to do a bandwidth analysis. This involves collecting data from EVAPerf for several days to determine your LUN usage as well as collecting Ping statistics with 2048 byte packages between your source and destination site.

After collecting all the data, the HP Storage Architect should have something called the Replication Workload Profiler that you can plug in all the information collected and it will give you an estimate of how much bandwidth you will be using with different connection types.

You could also use the CA EVA PErformance Estimator which is not HP restricted, but it is not as accurate as the Replication Workload Profiler.

In any case, CA Replication bandwidth requirements are dependent on many varying parameters that when changed can increase bandwidth requirements. Many customers will place the EVA's in the same room to perform the initial full copy and then do a "fork lift" move to the remote location where the DR Groups would then havce a merge done on them using the data from the write logs of the source DR Groups.

Good luck and Eid Mubarak (belated).
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
manamirhastam
Frequent Advisor

Hi Phillip,

Can you plz explain more about Replication Workload Profiler or send some docs and links.
Thanks and Regards.

Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

The Replication Workload Profiler is an HP Restricted worksheet that would only be accessible by an HP Partner (I would strongly suggest CNS for this in the UAE) or and HP Storage Solution Architect. I would suggest that you contact your local HP office about performing this function.

If you have not purchased the CA solution then the Replication Workload Profiler would be one of the documents that would have to be completed to qualify your locations for a CA solution installation.

I wish I could give this document to you but I would be violating my Non-Disclosure Agreement with HP.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
manamirhastam
Frequent Advisor

Hi Phillip,
Thank you so much for your response.
I will check this issue with our HP partner.
Thanks and Regards.
Graham Smith_8
Advisor

Hello,

I did this recently with 2 eva6000's.
Set the bandwidth to 1gb, run statseeker, created a new DR target and also a Force full copy. Statseeker indicated that the maximum used bandwidth in each case was 250mb. Link is now set at 300mb. Throughput about 110gb/hour.

Hope this is helpful.

Graham