4924 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RSM v3 no presentation target found message

NXS
Valued Contributor

RSM v3 no presentation target found message

Hi,
I have appliance with cv 6.0.2 and rsm v3. It manage an eva8000 xcs 6.0 and I have there hpux servers. I try to snapshot one vg and mount it on another host. Both hosts are seen via rsm and discovered correctly. Both hosts already have luns on the eva.
I created the job via the delivered template.
When I start the job I got the message :
"no presentation target found for enabled host sbx0cab"
And the job stop.
Please help, I can't see nothing special in the manuals (I forced also host in cv eva to be the same as the hostname, already used in the rsm)
3 REPLIES 3
Richard Tengdin
Trusted Contributor

Re: RSM v3 no presentation target found message

Can all the servers ping all the other servers by name, especially from the management server? If your DNS isn't complete and stable you can get these kinds of problems. Be sure the Command View Host name is exactly the same as the DNS hostname in your DNS.

RSM uses the Host information in CV to determine what hosts are what.

NXS
Valued Contributor

Hi, thanks for the answer.
Problem is that for administrative reasons the name used for host in the cv eva are not the hostname of the machines, while in rsm you don't have the choice.
Is there a way to make the match between the hosts in rsm and in cv, like an aliase ? Doesn't use it the hba ?
Richard Tengdin
Trusted Contributor

RSM needs to know what host (by name in Command View) it needs to talk to via the RSM agent (via DNS name) for automation and host issues. As far as I know RSM does not worry about matching WWNs between the host and CV.

Your BEST bet is to make the RSM and CV host names match what is in your DNS for both forward and reverse lookups..... That keeps you in a 100% supported environment.

Another solution is to add CNAME records in your DNS so the RSM/CV host name resolves to the correct TCP/IP address.

Another possibility is to put a hosts. file on the CV and RSM servers that have the alternate alias for your HP-UX servers. I don't really recommend this because that file will be forgotten and cause problems down the road.