HPE EVA Storage
1753835 Members
7570 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

S-ATA Archival/Cheap-Disk SAN Solution

Tim_141

S-ATA Archival/Cheap-Disk SAN Solution

When is HP going to come out with a Serial_ATA based Storage-Array, that can provided SAN Connectivity. I have a need for some a cheap disk-based backup. Solution
To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards of men.
5 REPLIES 5
Caesar_3
Esteemed Contributor

Re: S-ATA Archival/Cheap-Disk SAN Solution

Hello!

I don't think that they will made such thing
because they always try to work with SCSI,
so even if they would it wouldn't be soon.
But i may wrong and HP will do the other.
So if you want to get 100% answer connect to
hp support that near to you and they maybe
give you some answer.

Caesar
Zeev Schultz
Honored Contributor

Oh,well it's a matter of market interests,not of serial ata benefits.
First,although,it's still IDE and lacks all the features of SCSI (like command queueing and support of up to 320 MB/s speeds) important to mention that it's serial and connects on a point-to-point style (unlike parallel old IDE) so it should suit fabric SANs
imho.The only advantage of Serial ATA over SCSI is the price.
Trying to be very cautious I'd say HP will expand their storage market to serial ATA devices (may be up to array-level) but it would
be intended to micro$oft based hardware solutions.No one would go and write a complete kernel support for ide/ata on hp-ux.My guesses :)

BTW,attached is a nice paper I got from an Intel sites on benefits of serial-ATA in SAN/NAS.

Zeev
So computers don't think yet. At least not chess computers. - Seymour Cray
Randy Weis
Frequent Advisor

I have heard that HP will introduce SATA by the end of this year, on the MSA. It is intended solely for temporryr storage, and will be positioned for Disk To Disk (D2D) backup. They want to be sure they have certified solutions for mezzanine backups, at a price point that is competitive with Quantum and other Enhanced Backup solution providers.
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes. Oscar Wilde.
liam Fogarty_1
Advisor

try using ATAbeast by www.nexsan.com
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
There is several vendors of cheap IDE or ATA Raid systems on the market, most of them is sold as "host independent". I have used such systems from fibrenetix (www.fibrenetix.com) for some time (Solaris, Windows and HP-UX) and never had any problem with them. For disk backup and nearline storage solutions it can be a very attractive alternative.