5608 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SAN Visibility report on 8/24SANSwitches

Cameron Todd
Regular Advisor

SAN Visibility report on 8/24SANSwitches

HI,

I have two new 8/24SANswitches in my Fabrics and have tried to rerun the HP SAN Visibility Report over each Fabric but the data collection locks up (does not ever finish) when the data collection process hits either of these switches. It runs fine over the existing 4/16SANswitches, completing in less than a minute, but the tool can be left overnight and the progress bar still says "50% completed". (in the case of one 4/16 and one 8/24 connected in the same Fabric).

Has anyone reported problems with the Visibility Report tool failing on this model of switches?

I am running v4.2, the latest version of SAN Visibility Report, and the two new switches have had HP technicians update the firmware to the latest as they were installed and merged.

A reboot of the storage management server makes no difference.

I can also login to all the switches manually fine, using the loginID and password specified in the SAN Visibility Tool.
11 REPLIES 11
amrit.pati

Hi Cameron,

We tried SAN Visibilty4.2 to collect data on a 8/24 Brocade SAN Switch, data collection went on fine without any issues. Can you please mail us the "dc.log" file and "guiLog.txt" located in the "log" folder of the installed directory of SAN Visibility to "SAN_Visibility@hp.com" with "HP SAN Visibility Query" as the subject?

SAN Visibility Team
PilatMedia
Occasional Advisor

I have a similar case as well - eVA4400 with embeded 8 port switch, and a Brocase 8/24 connected to it. The embeded switch runs FOS 6.1.0.8e and the 8/24 switch runs 6.3.0d.

Both SanVisibility 4.1 an d 4.2 are hung while trying to collect data from the fabric.
Cameron Todd
Regular Advisor

I forwarded the log files to the SAN Visibility team as requested in May, but have not had any reply so far.
PilatMedia
Occasional Advisor

I plan to open a case with them as well.
PilatMedia
Occasional Advisor

I have noticed that when I telnet into the switch it ask me to change the password on some default accounts. I used to ignore it, but after reading the dc.log several times I have noticed that the tool have problems with the output of the telnet session. So I changed the passwords, and ran the Visibility tool again. This time is was able to process data from one of the two switches I have, and was hung on the main one...

A bit of improvement.
PilatMedia
Occasional Advisor

Update - The problem now occures only on the embeded EVA4400 switch, the 8/24 by itself is fine, but if I use the option to discover coinnected switches the problem is back. I have noticed that the tool will Telnet into the switches to collect data, and the log file say that an invalid character was received. When I telnet into the 8/24, there is a line of ------- and then the normal prompt. On the embeded one there is no such line. The FOS on the 8/24 is 6.3.0d and on the embeded is 6.0.0_8e.
Cameron Todd
Regular Advisor

It has been over 6 months now, but have heard nothing back from HP support.

Have not had time to pursue it any further, so have just let the problem remain and we have gone without SAN network diagrams.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Is this tool similar to the Brocade SAN Health tool? Maybe you would want to try that tool?
PilatMedia
Occasional Advisor

Well, the whole idea is to generate the data, send it to HP and then get a report with recomendations, especially to see if there are any driver or firmware upgrades that are needed. This is good especially before any upgrade to the EVA itself.