1752815 Members
6282 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Scan for new hardware hangs after presenting EVA5000 LUN

jmh254
Advisor

Scan for new hardware hangs after presenting EVA5000 LUN

I have presented a new LUN from my EVA 5000. If I try 'rescan disks' from Disk Manager nothing happens. If I Scan for hardware changes in device manager then Device Manager stops responding.

When I reboot this server it will hang on the Windows splash screen. If I power cycle again and pull out the Fibre cable then it boots without a problem (I assume I would have the same result if I disabled the switch port but I haven't tested this yet).

I have other LUNs presented from this EVA to other servers and don't have a problem, it just seems to be this particular server and something to do with the fibre fabric but am not sure where to begin.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Is the host type in Command View EVA set correctly ?

That can sometimes cause things to get a bit confused.

I would also check that you haven't somehow managed to get duplicate LUNs assigned to the same host.

Cheers,

Rob
jmh254
Advisor

Thanks for the reply Rob,

I have confirmed that the OS type is set to Windows and that each LUN is only presented once on this host.

I'm not sure if it's related, but if I look at the port on the Fibre switch that this server is attached to I see a very high error count - 5186601 (These are all 'Encd Errs Outside Frames'.)
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
it seems to be the HW related problem, (maybe marginal link - faulty SFP, fibre cable, switch mainboard port, etc.)

Here are some doc links that could be usefull:

http://www.linuxclustersinstitute.org/conferences/archive/2007/PDF/loftus_24063.pdf

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1223359795842+28353475&threadId=76811

the pain is one part of the reality
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> 'Encd Errs Outside Frames'

If a QLogic adapter is connected to this port, it does not necessarily indicate a fault - you have to check if the error count increases during normal operation and not get scared by a single value.