108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Switch firmware upgrade questions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeremy C
Regular Advisor

Switch firmware upgrade questions

Specifics: Brocade 4/32 SAN Switches, current firmware is 5.2.0a.

1. Is a firmware upgrade disruptive to FC traffic? The docs seem to imply that it is not but don't explicitly state it.

2. Given the two-revision limitation, would this be the correct path from 5.2.0a to 6.2.0g? 5.2.0a -> 6.0.1a -> 6.2.0g

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor
Solution

1. Its based on the topology ... If you have two fabric you can always continue upgrading in one fabric and schedule for the next.

2. Take backup of switch configuration ALWAYS before any upgrades.

3. 5.2.0a -> 6.0.1a -> 6.2.0g should be my choice.. but you can expect more suggestions...
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

sreekanthtm
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

>>>> Is a firmware upgrade disruptive to FC traffic? The docs seem to imply that it is not but don't explicitly state it.

In brocade firmware upgradation requires a reboot the switch to make it afect. So there would not be any I/O during this period. You should have a director switch, OR two separate fabric to upgrade switch firmware in 0 downtime.

>>>2. Given the two-revision limitation, would this be the correct path from 5.2.0a to 6.2.0g? 5.2.0a -> 6.0.1a -> 6.2.0g

Suppose the firmware version are as follows..
x.0 --> x.1 --> x.2 --> x.3
You can upgrade the firmware level directly from x.0 to x.2
But you cannot upgrade the firmware level directly from x.0 to x.3. You have to follow
x.0 --> x.1 --> x.2 --> x.3 OR
x.0 --> x.1 --> x.3
Means, you can skip only one version.
If you are trying upgrade from x.0 to x.3, the section will end throwing error.

Rgds,
Sreekanth
Jeremy C
Regular Advisor

When you enter the firmwareDownload command, the switch says it will do a "warm/non-disruptive" reboot. That sounds to me like it does not disrupt FC traffic. After the download is complete, it then does a "HA reboot". I know it disrupts IP traffic (the telnet session) but does that step disrupt FC traffic?

sreekanthtm
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

"HA reboot" (High Available) is available in brocade director switches.
What is the switch model?
While rebooting if you are getting the option "HA reboot", then it should be director. Means switch internaly has two partion (Two processor, memory etc), while rebooting only one partition will go down. The other Processor will controll I/O.
Means there is no down time.

Rgds
Sreekanth
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I have a logfile from an old SANswitch 2/8V (installed in July 2004) that says:
Firmwaredownload has completed successfully.
HA Rebooting ...

I don't think that is a director switch ;-)

Seriously, non-disruptive upgrades are available on a number of non-director switches.
Jeremy C
Regular Advisor

So it sounds like if you enter "firmwareShow" and you get something indicating that there are two partitions then you can do a firmware update without FC traffic disruption.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The switches do have two (2) firmware 'partitions', but the idea is to be able to store two different versions and rollback quick. There is still only one processor for high-level functions. The low-level FC routing circuitry is not switched off while the embedded OS is reloaded.

A director (= larger switch) has two processors and the primary can quickly fail over the high-level functions to the standby processor before it is rebooting.
sreekanthtm
Trusted Contributor

Hi Uwe Zessin,

Could you please explain how a normal switch (Non director -- 12000, 24000, 48000)can perform HA reboot?.

Rgds,
Sreekanth