1752542 Members
5262 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Zone Configuration

JD_WF14
Occasional Advisor

Zone Configuration

We currently are running a two switch fabric without zoning. I plan on implementing port based zoning for our MSA and Windows Servers, and a MSL tape library. My question is, will turning on the zoning affect the servers? Do I need to turn the servers off and implement the zoning and then turn them back on, or can I turn on zoning with the servers on without any issues? Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
ks6542
Valued Contributor

you can have zoning without putting your servers off.. why you need to shut ur servers for zoning?

If your server hba are cabelled to the switch ports you can configure zoning without any issues.
Rajs
Frequent Advisor

Hello JD14,

First create a zoning diagram then start zoning. Make sure that you have done zoning properly before apply configuration. That way you can complete zoning without any issues.
Hka_1
Occasional Advisor

when you turn on Zoning the defualt zone wont be any more valid and the servers will no more have visibility to the storage until you create a zone and enable it. so this is going cost you downtime!
ks6542
Valued Contributor

Hari can you tell me if the servers dont have zoning on and no luns assigned,what would be the scope of lun visibility ?
and how it gonna effect host?
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

Rais and ks6542 are correct. If you ensure that your zoning configuration is correct BEFORE you enable it you will not incur any downtime - whether or not volumes have been presented to servers. No changes to the zoning configuration have any effect until you issue the 'cfgenable' command. You can make all the changes, verify them, save them, and then finally issue the 'cfgenable' command to make the whole thing active.
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

Assuming of course you're using B-series HP or Brocade switches. I have no experience with others.