5665 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Software forums

MichaelProcopio
Trusted Contributor

Software forums

by Michael J Procopio

When you go to DISCUSSION BOARDS ->SOFTWARE you end up in a place that has both blogs and forums and there is no indication of which is which. It would be easier if each entry ended with either BLOG or FORUM.

Separately I recently saw Captain America Winter Soldier. I found a technical problem with his shield which is made of Vibranium.

-
Michael Procopio
LinkedIn.com/in/Michael Procopio
3 REPLIES 3
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Software forums (blogs and board categories not separated)

>It would be easier if each entry ended with either BLOG or FORUM.

Yes, I've already mentioned it here:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Community-Feedback-Suggestions/Yay-The-giant-type-on-the-category-lists-is-gone-Yay/m-p/6426606#M6310

The old style had them separated, so they didn't need to have that on each name.

Warren_Admin
Respected Contributor

Each of the drop-down menus in the header has its own logic. Because of the sheer number of boards on the Enterprise Business Community, a menu listing all of them would be prohibitively long, so the "Discussion Boards" menu accesses the categories, similar to the Community home page when the expanding menus are collapsed.

The "Blogs" menu, instead, goes directly to each blog individually, and the "Community Knowledge Base" uses essentially the same logic. We are continuing to manage the number of Knowledge Bases, down by approximately 70 percent from the time we originally onboarded them.

To differentiate boards from blogs from categories from knowledge bases, each has a different icon. A board looks a little like a "conversation bubble" in a comic strip. A blog looks a bit like a scroll, a category mimics a folder, and a knowledge base looks like a book. When showing sub-categories inside a main category, we list the number of items inside, and for a discussion board, the number of unread posts.

I hope this is helpful,
Warren_Admin, HP Enterprise Community Manager
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and should not be interpreted as official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard

Thanks,
Warren_Admin

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I hope this is helpful,

That wasn't our complaint.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Software/ct-p/sws-top

This category is composed of only subcategories.  Suppose we wouldn't be caught dead looking at blogs, so we only want to go to subcategories with boards.

Before it was organized like:

Boards:

Events, News & Break Room (8 Items )
Freemium Products (2 Items )
HP ITSM (1 Item )

HP Software Forum - Australia (5 Items )

HP Technology at Work 2013 (5 Items )

IT Trends and Solutions (6 Items )

Practitioners Forums (2 Items )

Products (36 Items )

Note: There already were multiple columns, so there was no reason to even touch this category!

Blogs:

>category mimics a folder,

Or have two types of "folders" icons.