1753404 Members
7172 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

RDX asking for media to be "flipped"...

lmgfinance
Occasional Collector

RDX asking for media to be "flipped"...

Running sbs 2003 server and using Norton BackupExec to do our backups. 

This configuration/system works 95% of the time. However, on occasion I get a failure. This week the failure happened 2 nights in a row, so looking to find a solution.

We use 6 320GB RDX disks and rotate through a M-Sat schedule. Each disk holds 2 complete backups.

I am not running up against size issues as each disk has at least 10% extra space on it with 2 complete backups performed.

The first error mentions another process possible causing it to fail, but there is nothing else using using the RDX drive...

Below are the 2 errors from the system log that throws on failure:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Removable Storage Service
Event Category: None
Event ID: 106
Date: 5/27/2013
Time: 8:01:13 AM
User: N/A
Computer: XXX
Description:
Multisided media 394 could not be identified in library HP RDX USB Device. RSM attempted to flip the media to identify the second side but could not because the media was in use by another process. This media has been forced into the Unrecognized pool and left in the disabled state. Perform a full inventory or eject the media and re-insert it into the library to fix this situation.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Removable Storage Service
Event Category: None
Event ID: 104
Date: 5/27/2013
Time: 8:01:13 AM
User: N/A
Computer: XXX
Description:
New media named "394" was detected in library HP RDX USB Device having at least one unrecognized side and at least one recognized side.

Not disk specific as it has happened with different ones. Also not date specific, as it has happened at different times of the week. 

Anyone seen this happen before and possibly suggest a solution? Very much appreciated!

edit: digging deeper, noticed this fails about same time exchange backup starts. However, this backup goes to a completely different NAS, and isn't tied to RDX at all...  Can't seem to see anything excessive happening as far as memory is concerned. Doesn't make sense to me why this backup which happens using windows system would conflict with Norton backup. I am hypothesizing that Norton probably uses windows mechanics to perform backups, but not sure why they would conflict...  

edit: Confirmed. Was running a manual backup to RDX using Norton and as soon as I opened NTbackup it halted Norton. I will leave this open here in case someone has had similar issues. However, I'm going to approach Norton and see if they have any answers.

P.S> This thread has been moved from Archival Products (Retired Discussion Board) to Automated Backup. - Hp Forum Moderator