Appliance Servers
1752834 Members
3562 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Issue with Unattended setup of Server 2003 x64 on new DLG4's

CA1325499

Issue with Unattended setup of Server 2003 x64 on new DLG4's

Alright, let me say, this has been a serious pain. But here's the situation, I am trying to create my ADS baseline images which I create using WINPE. So needless to say, I have finally got WINPE working and booting in a 64 bit kernel so that I can run the 64bit windows setup (winnt32.exe from the 64 bit media).

So, now that i can boot to 64bit WINPE, begin setup, here's the catch. Setup won't finish and I know that it's because of the drivers. So, after I scratched the heck out of my head, I found that the entire directory structure has changed. Now, instead of using the i386 folder, you have an AMD64 folder. Anyway, I have populated those folders with the $oem$ folders including the textmode folder. I have found out that you have to get the 64bit drivers from the SmartStart7.30 cd.

So I did that and copied the scsi drivers to all the necessary locations and updated the unattend.sif file to reflect the new files. So what I now have in the file is this -

----------------------------------------------

; Used when custom disk drivers must be specified
; Enter the description name = Retail or OEM
"Smart Array 5x and 6x Controllers"=OEM
"64-Bit/133-MHz Ultra320 SCSI Controllers"=OEM
"Smart Array SAS/SATA Controllers"=OEM

; This section is used to specify custom HALs, and also maps to the Mass Storage Device section
hpcisss.inf
hpcisss.sys
hpcisss.cat
TXTSETUP.OEM

----------------------------------------------

So, when setup begins it appears to go okay through textmode and I see the initial setup window. Then it goes to the all blue screen version and fails with the error message -
File \$WIN_NT$.~BT\$OEM$\HpCISSs2.sys could not be loaded. The error code is 14. Setup Cannot continue.

Please, does anyone have any idea what causes this? I am so tired of working on this and not getting anywhere. Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
CA1325499

Wow, so are we thinking there was an issue with the drivers. It sure does seem like this release came out extremely fast following 7.20. I hope this isn't a trend, it's difficult to develop a baseline and test it when there are constant updates. Kind of like the Windows problem, but now it's hardware related. Anyways, thanks so much for the reply and I'll keep you updated. P.S. Has anyone been able to get windows x64 to run completely through an unattended setup (hopefully with the initial stages running across the network)?? If so, would you attempt to help tell me the locations of all of the files (i.e. \AMD64\$oem$\, \AMD64\$oem$\$1, \AMD64\$oem$\$1, \AMD64\$oem$\Textmode)...
CA1325499

Has anyone else recieved the "Error code 14"? My first attempt after updating the drivers, failed. Still receiving the same error.

I am really hoping someone can help me out with this. I am not sure why the 64bit stuff seems to be so much more difficult and/or picky than the 32bit stuff (I have had this working fine for those systems this whole time).
CA1325499

Okay, so an update. I really hope that someone can help me figure this out but it is actually working. It turns out this version of 2003 x64 has drivers builtin to it that work for setup. This is great news, but it still doesn't change the fact that Windows cannot load the drivers supplied by HP.

I essentially just commented out the Mass storage sections in my unattend file so that it doesn't process them and voila.