1752401 Members
5585 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array 5312 ERROR!!

pkyiu
Occasional Advisor

Smart Array 5312 ERROR!!

I just install the 5312 PCI-X133 controller to my server but I have not yet attached any SCSI hard disk drive to the 2 channels.
I found:
(1) The contoller boot screen shows "Slot1 HP Smart Array 5312 Controller Initialising... _"
(2) It takes VERY long time to proceed after showing the above message, about 5 mins!!
(3)One green LED and 2 orange LEDs turn on on the controller's PCB, the 2 orange ones are "Drive fail" & "Diag Mode"
(4) As I enter my OS, Win2003 Enterprise, it shows error message that the controller's driver failed to start, file cpqcissm.dll failed to start!
(5) Windows device manager, shows the controller with a yellow exclaimation mark, error shows the controller fail to start!

Can I solve the problem by simply attach a SCSI HD drive to controller?

Thank you!
7 REPLIES 7
Alicia White
Esteemed Contributor

Although I am not familiar with Smart Array cards (but I know the HP NetRAID cards very well), I do know SCSI & RAID cards do not need to have any HDDs attached in order to be detected correctly by the OS. I don't think that attaching drives will solve the problem.

Nearly all SCSI and RAID cards load their "option ROM" during POST. This know as "bannering." In other words, this is when the card initializes, firmware/BIOS versions appear, any attached devices are spun up and detected, and any error messages related to the card will appear.

The fact that it hangs while bannering leads me to think that there is something wrong with the card. There are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. try reseating the card (check for dirty contact edge when you do this)
2. Check documentation, make sure you have the card in the correct slot for your server (check server documentation to see if there is a preferred slot)
3. during POST, if this doesn't fix the problem trying entering the setup utility to clear out any configuration information

Although, this really sounds like more of a hardware issue,, make sure you are using the latest driver for the card.

Alicia
pkyiu
Occasional Advisor

thank you for your information,
how can I enter the contoller's ROM/BIOS setup screen while booting so that I can delete the previous config?
My contoller is Compaq/HP smart array 5312!
pkyiu
Occasional Advisor

attaching error logs!
pkyiu
Occasional Advisor

Is there any jumper on this controller that I can erase its previous config??
I saw somthing like J6 RISCWATCH; J7 ISR; J9 PCA on its PCB!
Please help me, thank you very much!

Oh, I nearly forgot yo mention that I'm running on a ASUS server which I'm affraid of compatibility may lead to my problem, and does the contoller's config can be stored on compaq/hp server's mainboard BIOS only so there is no way for me to access its config while running on a non-compaq/hp machine???!!!

Thank you all!
pkyiu
Occasional Advisor

I also have the following error as I try to update the contoller's ROM: "Error! Warning: Flash unsuccessful:Bh compaq smart 5312 controller slot 1" and it's strange that the ROMpaq flash utility cannot identify the previous version of ROM on the controller and it shows ?.??.??
which is very strange!!!
pkyiu
Occasional Advisor

I got the strange message displaying on booting, "(array controller option rom hooking int15h function c1h (get EBDA segment))" but no hope to get into its ROM config screen??!!
plz help me, thank you
CA1067806
Advisor

Your controller is in what's called a lock up. It's identified by both amber LED's turning on solid and the blue heart beat LED no longer blinking. This occurs when the controller firmware detects a hardware error and stops executing code. Examples of hardware errors may be PCI parity errors or SDRAM uncorrectable ECC errors. You may want to inspect the components for any damage, try replacing your cache card with a known working card off another controller, or moving to a different PCI slot if your willing to trouble shoot the problem. Else, you will need to contact HP for service.

If the blue amber LED is not blinking, it's not worth any further efforts to try updating drivers or controller f\w. At this point the controller is not responding to commands. The Option ROM banner appears because of the BIOS mechanism, but the first command to ID the controller ends up timing out.