ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1748068 Members
5509 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

Go to solution

That is a shame. Guess I have to find somewhare outside the office for this piece.

Becuase I guess there is no solution for us running Debian with 4 disks configured as a software RAID5?

Regards,

Marcus

VasiC
Occasional Visitor

I have been following this thread as I also recently aquired a G8 MS and was shocked by the fan noise.

Regarding the resolution of this case, what a shame, I guess I will be returning my G8 MS and stick with the N40L a little longer.

I do hope HP will someday come to it's senses and develope a aciusticaly apropriate product as advertised for the small business / home use, as this product si clearly not in tune with such scenarios.

PAC_
Frequent Advisor

Yes I must admit this looks like a strange business decision coming from HP since the MicroServer line is marketed towards home and small office use.

Thanks to Jimmy Vance for helping us push this case and your support tickets directly through to the engineering department. I've been impressed with his level of care and dedication and for me this is what makes a big difference at the end of day.

For those of us utilizing the MicroServer Gen8 as a software-defined storage NAS, it seems the only solution would be to install an internal PCI-E SAS JBOD controller and connecting the 4-disks SAS backplane to it. This would allow installing a 2.5" HDD or SSD in the optical drive bay and configuring a RAID-0 array on the B120i to activate the iLO4 thermal sensor readout.

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

@PAC_, @Jimmy Vance - does this mean we're at the end of the road for this problem?

Even if we were to accept that we have to use fake RAID (when are vendors going to realise that this is a dumb idea?), the HP driver is not Open Source and not available on the majority of Linux distributions.  Surely there must be another workaround, such as a small bridging driver that pulls the data from the hard disks over AHCI and sends the thermal information to the iLO, or manually controlling the fan speed.

Regards,
Paul
saosin
Occasional Visitor

After reading all of your posts in this thread I've become really disappointed at HP for the way they've treated this issue.

As HP obviously don't care about their customers I'm hoping to find a way around this. Has anyone tried adding a fan controller? Or changing to a more quiet fan?

linuxartist
Visitor

Has anyone tried adding a fan controller?

-> yes, but as soon as the (ILO?) Controller recognizes a lower fan speed, it will boost the power and you end up having a loud server again

Or changing to a more quiet fan?

-> yes, but still its to noisy.  On top of that, you have to split the cable as the connector is a non standardized one.

All in all, I am really upset because of this issue.

I've bought 2 (two) of these systems to have a small ESXi Testlab, running on 2 hosts.

The idea was to boot from USB, have an SSD in the optical as flash and 4 SATA disks in the bays.

But since no spin down of the drives occur, the servers are consuming loads power, eventually having an impact on the utility bill. 

To be honest, after fiddling around with the first box and finding all of the above issues, finding this (and other) threads on this, I didn't even unpacked the second box. 

So, if anyone is interested in buying two G8 Microservers, give me a shout. 

Cheers,

LinuxArtist

p.s.: HP is also lacking more and more credibility in terms of support for "real" Servers. It's a disgrace how paying customers are treated these days. But thats (as always) just my thought on this. May be one clever Engineer (or BIOS hacker) will jump around the corner with an easy "fix" for this. (Recalling the issues on the G7 series' here).

PAC_
Frequent Advisor

Interesting, I'd be curious to know if you can get iLO 4 to recognize your SSD's thermal sensor if you create a single disk RAID-0 array with it ?

linuxartist
Visitor

@PAC_: Wish I could, but I said to myself, that I am not wasting any more time on this.

Hence, I did rip everything out and put the box back in the carton. Both are now advertised for sale elsewhere.

Its just to many minor issues adding up, eventually leaving me no choice then "giving up".. 

Trust me, I'm not really happy with that myself, but its like within a project: When there is no chance of getting this done, pull the plug. So I did.

Cheers

alex_mz

Hi.

In raid 0 mode - ssd drive work trim?

Thanks

0tto
Occasional Visitor

It is just unbelievable how HP dealed (not) with this issue. I am putting my Gen8 Microserver on sale too and I will avoid anything branded HP from now on as well.