108789 Solutions
New Discussion

MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

Go to solution
karma4u101
Advisor

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

Hi

If the new J06 ROM that reduces the fan speed from 36% to 28% will result in a significant reduction in noice the this is great news.

However I do not understand why suddenly the same arkiteture (the hp proliant microservers line) no longer is able to get temperature information from the running system (!?) as it clearly dose on my older microserver wher, I can, occasionally notice regulations in fan speed wher the server gets slightly audible due to som spikes in work load but most of the time the server is barely audiable at all even in a quit room. That server is running the exact same ubuntu version.

Why is iLO4 unable to obtain Hard Drives temperatures to controll the system fan when runing in SATA AHCI mode ? when older versions of the microserver works quitly (and with temperatur controll) without raid settings to do it ?

karma4u101
Advisor

... The sole reason I chose to buy the microserver in the first place was due to its quiet operation as it is ment to run i a quet surrounding

PAC_
Frequent Advisor

@karma4u101 wrote:

Hi

If the new J06 ROM that reduces the fan speed from 36% to 28% will result in a significant reduction in noice the this is great news.

However I do not understand why suddenly the same arkiteture (the hp proliant microservers line) no longer is able to get temperature information from the running system (!?) as it clearly dose on my older microserver wher, I can, occasionally notice regulations in fan speed wher the server gets slightly audible due to som spikes in work load but most of the time the server is barely audiable at all even in a quit room. That server is running the exact same ubuntu version.

Why is iLO4 unable to obtain Hard Drives temperatures to controll the system fan when runing in SATA AHCI mode ? when older versions of the microserver works quitly (and with temperatur controll) without raid settings to do it ?

The previous MicroServer N40L and N54L did not have iLO functionality built-in.

karma4u101
Advisor

Yes, thank you, that's the obvious short answer. So what you are not saying is that because the old microserver did not have iLO functionality it was able to regulate the fans (by messuring sytem and disk temperatures) and now that the system have built in iLO functionality this abiltiy has been lost for non i120 controlled system usage ?

I am sorry if I am asking uncomfortable questions all I want is that HP takes this issue seriously and try to resolve the noise issue in a way that satesfies cosumers that has come to expect an enjoy the silent operation from previous hp proliant microservers.

As I said in a prev post the biggest selleing argument and the reason I bought a new microserver is/was it's silent operation as it is ment to operate in a silent environment.
jamesah2008

This fan issue is pure horse-manure. I am stunned that there are issues like this. It's 2014. What the hell is going on HP? I should have just bought a synology! And we can only boot from SSD at sata II speeds from the ODD slot? I'm am about to sell this failure and move on with my life. You guys better hurry this fix up.

PAC_
Frequent Advisor

Yes, iLO 4 comes with a lot of advantages and a couple of disadvantages such as limited drivers and OS support.

HP is working on a fix, hopefully they can manage to lower the noise level near what it is when the Smart Array is configured and loaded.

sergz

What is the difference in principle between 36% and 28%? I've been monitoring the speed of the fan for a while and even 10% is quite loud. Meanwhile with the same temperature values on the Information>System Information>Temperatures, when b120i is enabled the fan speed is 6%, and with SATA AHCI the speed is 32%.

BTW, for me even 6% is not enough quite for living room.

I fully support all participants who says that it's an epic fail of HP. My fail is to miss this thread and make a purchase.

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

If your fan is loud when running at 25-26 PWM (~10%) then, there is something very wrong with your fan or your hard drives are noisy.

I've been testing my Microserver Gen8 in a quiet room with multiple storage configurations and honestly, with any fan speed below 45 PWM (~18%), the system fan is very quiet.  In fact, I can only hear my 4x 7200RPM SATA HP drives making all the noise at that point.

I've also tested few unsupported scenarios, like using 15K RPM 2.5" SAS HP drives (in 3rd party 2.5" to 3.5" adapter  caddys) connected to a P222 Smart Array card and these drives do run hot.  iLO shows the temperature of these drives above 50ºC all the time, while the P222 temperature is a constant 85ºC.  The system fan runs at 85PMW (~22%) and in a quiet room, the 2.5" SAS drives make all the noise.

Quote: "Why is iLO4 unable to obtain Hard Drives temperatures to control the system fan when runing in SATA AHCI mode ? when older versions of the microserver works quitly (and with temperatur controll) without raid settings to do it ?"

iLO can only obtain hard drive temperatures from Smart Array controllers.  The Smart Array controller acts as "the middle man" between the hard drives and the rest of the system. The Smart Array properly handles commands coming from both the OS and iLO.  Also, the hard drives need to have temperature sensors and support those commands that the Smart Array will send to them.

On the other hand, the Legacy SATA and SATA AHCI are just "standard" ports on the sytem and there is no physical connection that would allow iLO talk to these ports directly. You could try adding your own "middle man", like writting a driver that could handle requests coming from iLO and then pass these requests down to the ports. But, there are caveats. These commands could interfere with command sent by the OS storage driver so, it is not a good idea.  

A better solution would be replacing the OS storage driver with one that accept requests from both iLO and the OS. This is what the B120i driver does by the way but, only with the embedded B120i controller. 

Oscar A. Perez wrote:

"iLO can only obtain hard drive temperatures from Smart Array controllers. The Smart Array controller acts as "the middle man" between the hard drives and the rest of the system. The Smart Array properly handles commands coming from both the OS and iLO.  Also, the hard drives need to have temperature sensors and support those commands that the Smart Array will send to them."

I invested in 2 HP 1TB 6G SATA 7.2K rpm LFF (3.5-inch) N just to be sure they would work properly with the microserver

Oscar A. Perez wrote:

"On the other hand, the Legacy SATA and SATA AHCI are just "standard" ports on the system and there is no physical connection that would allow iLO talk to these ports directly. You could try adding your own "middle man", like writing a driver that could handle requests coming from iLO and then pass these requests down to the ports. But, there are caveats. These commands could interfere with command sent by the OS storage driver so, it is not a good idea."

If iLO only works properly with smart array why, to avoid interferences, isn't it disabled in legacy and ahci mode, with a fallback to the behavior and control functions of older microservers, you see right now I am feeling really unfortunate to have invested in this machine expecting it to work as silent and smooth as my older microserver on Ubuntu :(

Oscar A. Perez wrote: 

"A better solution would be replacing the OS storage driver with one that accept requests from both iLO and the OS. This is what the B120i driver does by the way but, only with the embedded B120i controller. "

Well If this is the only sensible solution I would happily do that, so If you or someone could provide me with a way to get Ubuntu server up and running with the B120i controller I would be a happy costumer again.

Pointer's to documentation and/or proper ubuntu server software packages and server versions is highly appreciated.

I have found this [1] documentation and I will try it out, but glancing at it, It feels a bit unclear,  I am hoping for some better documentation and instructions provided by HP (as you insist on keeping your drivers proprietary) and better Ubuntu support from hp as you seems to have lost it on this one :(

[1] https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-certification/+question/214703#comment-22

/Peter