1753329 Members
5228 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Netserver LH Pro

ernest nance
Occasional Contributor

Netserver LH Pro

My server will not connect to the Internet unless I re-boot and then it will only connect once. The network adapter still works and connects to the rest of the network but not the Internet. I'm in need of updates and service packs from online.
Some Help
6 REPLIES 6
CA698399
Honored Contributor

Re: Netserver LH Pro

Hi Ernest,

Are other computers on your network experiencing the same problem? Which operating system is your LH Pro running, and what type of network is it on? Are any error messages reported?
ernest nance
Occasional Contributor

No, this is the only server and pc period that is experiencing this problem.

The os is NT Server on a client-server network with ethernet adapters. There are no errors being reported.
Some Help
Dave Unverhau_1
Honored Contributor

Ernest,

How do you make your internet connection? Do you go through a firewall? Is it a dialup connection using a modem-sharing device?

In order to diagnose the problem, we would need to know more about the internet connection.

If you are accessing the internet through a corporate firewall, are your DNS and gateway settings correct?

If this is an NT Server, I'm guessing that you have a fixed IP address on your LAN interface (but you might still be a DHCP client). If your server is a DHCP client, you should get all the needed IP settings from your DHCP server, but if not, you need to verify that they're correct.

Another question is "what kind of internet connection are you trying to make with this system?". Are you simply trying to connect to the web with a browser? If so, are your proxy settings correct? Can you ping well-known remote hosts (like www.yahoo.com)? If you can do this reliably, then I would suspect your browser/proxy settings.

Regards,

Dave

Romans 8:28
ernest nance
Occasional Contributor

We have a T1 and the firewall is configured in the router.

We do use DHCP and the DNS settings are correct.
I noticed the gateway was not configured so I did it before responding this time. I was able to get a connection out to the browser a couple of times and get my security updates. After I finished and rebooted-now I can't connect to the browser again. There are no proxy settings, everything is correct. I can't seemed to connect to the web through the browser everytime-just sometimes.

Some Help
Dave Unverhau_1
Honored Contributor

I really think your problem is in the browser settings. Which browser are you using? Is it the same one that works on the other systems? Check the settings carefully. Are there any differences between these and the settings of the browser on a properly behaving client? Check the advanced settings (if you're using MS IE) and compare with a working browser.

Also, if you're using a recent version if MS IE, check the security settings to make sure that you're not using a customized zone setting.

If you can consistently make connections to the internet with applications like ftp and tracert, and are able to ping well known sites like www.yahoo.com fairly reliably, I can't imagine the problem bieng anything other than the browser or maybe your firewall.

Good luck...I'll keep scratching my head.

Dave
Romans 8:28
paul matejcek
Frequent Advisor

firewall..........

make sure your client with the internet connection problem is ___not___ also running a firewall, if you have a firewall on your router and there is one on you client it will conflict and shut offf your internet connection.