ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1748156 Members
3780 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Proliant Microserver N54L doesn't drive e-SATA port ?

mikedavies621
Occasional Visitor

Proliant Microserver N54L doesn't drive e-SATA port ?

Hi,

I am trying to connect a SATA drive to the external e-SATA port at the rear of my new Proliant Microserver N54L and am having difficulty.  I am using the cable linked here.  When I connect the drive and power up the server the drive does not spool up nor is it recognised in the BIOS.  The drive works fine when conected to one of the internal SATA ports.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. This thread has been moved from ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL) to ProLiant Servers - Netservers.
-HP Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: Proliant Microserver N54L doesn't drive e-SATA port ?

Hi,

Is the eSATA port working fine, check with some other eSATA device connecting to that port.

In some scenarios the drive may require extra power when connected to eSATA port.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

mikedavies621
Occasional Visitor

Hi Suman, thanks very much for your reply.

I have tried both the hd I want to use and the hd that came with the system (which is recognised fine in the internal slots) and neither of them are recognised.  I did say in my OP that I don't believe power is being provided from the e-SATA port because neither of the drives spin up when connected to it.  The cable I am using (see link in OP) splits off a separate power connector so provided power is supplied via the e-Sata port then everything should work.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Mike

mikedavies621
Occasional Visitor

Bump  ?   Anyone any ideas about this issue I have with the eSATA port on my N54L ?  Is there anything I can check in the BIOS ?

Thanks,

Mike

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The original specification of the eSATA connector did not include power at all, only data.

To remedy this, some manufacturers noticed that it was possible to design a combination eSATA + USB connector. This became known as the eSATAp connector. It allows an external storage device to use the eSATA contacts for data, while using the USB contacts of the eSATAp connector for +5 V power. This is often enough for solid-state devices or 2.5" HDDs.

Optionally, an eSATAp connector may also have +12 V connectors. There seems to be no standard name for this variant: I've seen one vendor use eSATApd (for eSATA Power, Dual voltage), while other vendors (like the eBay link in the original post) use eSATAp +12 V or similar.

Unfortunately, the organizations maintaining the USB and eSATA specifications both rejcted the eSATAp concept at first, declaring it a non-standard connector, with no promises on compatibility at all. As a result, there are many computers on the market with data-only eSATA ports. Looks like Microserver N54L is one of them.

With a data-only eSATA port, if your storage device can run with +5 V only, you may be able to make it work with a cable like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812311004

If your storage device needs +12 V, or +5 V with a higher amperage than a USB port can easily supply, and it does not have any other connector for power, you may need a cable like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2JX0ZT3624

More information about the eSATA vs. eSATAp issue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESATAp

MK