1748239 Members
3685 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Trying to find old threadId

StephenNicholls
Visitor

Re: New Forum Locations by ITRC Tree

I'm trying to locate an old post and not having any success either through Google or the HP site search.

The old thread is: 

[Broken link removed on 03-23-2017 by Admin] 

Please advise how I go about accessing it? 

Thanks

Steve

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I'm trying to locate an old post

You can't since the google cache is completely expired.  The best you can do is search for it based on what you think is there or based on the problem you are trying to solve.

Or perhaps the moderators can still find it.

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

Steve - as Dennis has mentioned, with just the URL we can't offer much help.  The old forum "thread ID's" don't correspond to anything in the new environment, so a raw URL from the ITRC or BSC forums isn't something we can look up or cross-reference.

Do you happen to know what the thread/post was about?

I work for HPE.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>with just the URL we can't offer much help.

Ack!  Are you now saying you don't have a map between the old thread IDs and the new IDs?

tmc1

Trying to find a forum on SiteScope

Trying to find a forum on SiteScope ... could someoen give me a link?

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

Re: Trying to find a forum on SiteScope

Dennis - we never have had such a mapping.  With more than 5 million posts, it wasn't feasible to create a mapping for *every* post/thread.  What we *did* do is capture posts that linked to other threads, so we could correct as many post-to-post links as possible - but that's been a manual process.

tmc1 - it doesn't look like there's a forum specifically for SiteScope, but there are a lot of sitescope posts/questions in the BAC board - have a look @ http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Applciation-Perf-Mgmt-BAC-BSM/bd-p/itrc-875 
I work for HPE.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>What we *did* do is capture posts that linked to other threads, so we could correct as many post-to-post links as possible - but that's been a manual process.

That's what I thought you said before.  But when you said "with just the URL we can't offer much help", I thought you could no longer could even do that.

So with the URL you could find the post that has it, then look at your data.

(Except for the case the URL is external.  Which google finds in this case but there is one in the forum.)

>With more than 5 million posts, it wasn't feasible to create a mapping for *every* post/thread.

I disagree.  A web page could have been created with old thread vs new topic IDs (about 100 MB), then google could search it.  And at the top of that page you could tell people how to translate.

Or provide a CGI or other script to actually go to that new topic after pasting in the ID.

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

Re: Trying to find a forum on SiteScope

@Dennis Handly wrote:

So with the URL you could find the post that has it, then look at your data.

That was the first thing I checked for - but if the thread tha ttmc1 is looking for was never linked *to* (from another discussion), then it's not in our inventory - and a search for the threadID didn't return any results, so that appears to be the case, unfortunately.

I work for HPE.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>and a search for the threadID didn't return any results,

google and the forum search finds one in the forum and one outside (which would cause you problems):

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Quality-Center-Support-and-News/defects-change-status-in-excel-report/td-p/5275649

Chris Bedford
Regular Advisor

Yah thanks for all that useful advice but where the ^*&# do I find the control panel to edit my profile? I have scrolled around this page from top to bottom - several times - and the only think I see that's vaguely related to "me" as such is "log out".

Not very useful. What was the poiint of this whole move anyway? Busywork? Is this one of the reasons HP is 3rd or 4th (and slipping) in market cap and profit despite having the biggest market share by far?

Grrr whatever happened to the three-click rule dammit