5152 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Invalid HTML Removed

Go to solution
bnjroo
Occasional Advisor

Invalid HTML Removed

Whenever I make a post, I get a message saying "Invalid HTML Removed" or something to that effect, even though I am posting a plain-text message.

тЖТThere's no such thing as a fool-proof system. Someone will make a better fool, tomorrow.
11 REPLIES 11
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

I too get that message every so often.  I'm never sure what it doesn't like, after removal it seems the same.

I don't have the "Ignore HTML" box checked.  And not "Use the Rich Text Editor tab by default" but it seems it does it anyway?

But I do use ">" for a quoting char.  ;-)

So basically ignore that bogus message.

bnjroo
Occasional Advisor

Dennis,

It seems to be fairly random, as well, but I don't post that often on this board. The consumer board is different, apparently, because I have been on that one more for my old nc6000, DV6, and 4530s [in that order], but never really noticed any of the bug we're talking about.

I started asking questions about my new 4540s and they kicked me over here, heh! Is this a new board, or have I just been on the wrong board all this time?

Thanks!

-Ben

PS. I went back to edit this post and when I hit "Post" I got the funky error message. How random is that? [screenshot attached]

тЖТThere's no such thing as a fool-proof system. Someone will make a better fool, tomorrow.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>The consumer board is different, apparently

I would have thought it is the same Lithium.  (In fact I've just seen it there too in 2015!)

>Is this a new board, or have I just been on the wrong board all this time?

This forum has the combination of the old ITRC, BSC and Software forums.  And goes back to 1999.

> I went back to edit this post and when I hit "Post" I got the funky error message.

Hmm, nothing fancy, just text.  What browser version are you using, chrome?

bnjroo
Occasional Advisor

just using latest chrome, that's all. nothing fancy, as far as i can tell.

Warren_Admin
Respected Contributor

To add a bit of detail to this thread, there are three scenarios that trigger the "Invalid HTML ..." message:

1) JavaScript. The HTML parser will remove JavaScript (and quite possibly other scripting language source) to eliminate the possibility of executing or editing such code.

2) Malformed HTML. Pasting HTML-formatted text into a Rich Text Editor may expose formatting issues with the original HTML. While many browsers will ignore HTML that is not well formed, some editors do not. A common error is leaving out closing paragraph tags, which essentially creates embedded paragraphs, which are not allowed.

3) Extensible HTML tags (Non-standard tags). While the use of classes makes repetitious formatting much less so, the use of non-standard tags in a Rich Text Editor is likely to be flagged, and the tags eliminated.

I hope this is helpful,
Warren_Admin, HP Enterprise Community Manager
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and should not be interpreted as official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard

Thanks,
Warren_Admin

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>there are three scenarios that trigger the "Invalid HTML ..." message:

Be aware there is a fourth.  I'm just pasting in text, I have no idea what tags are there or not.

I'm including URLs too.  But I guess I've said that above.

So I see no difference after these "Invalid" are removed.

And I assume anyone that's complained feels the same way.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>To add a bit of detail to this thread

To add insult to injury, in a post I kind of guessed I would get the dreaded "Invalid" message so I clicked on the Preview tab so I could get it early.  And sure enough got the message but it never went into Preview mode and worse, it didn't correct it!

I had to use Post twice to get it removed.

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

A _useful_ error message would provide some clue as to what the
"invalid HTML" actually is.  On the occasions when I've gotten this
complaint, I was mystified and/or unwilling to scan a lengthy posting
(of plain text, in which there was no intentional HTML) in the hope of
guessing what the reason might be.

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

@Warren_Admin wrote:

To add a bit of detail to this thread, there are three scenarios that trigger the "Invalid HTML ..." message:

1) JavaScript. ...

2) Malformed HTML. ...

3) Extensible HTML tags ...

I hope this is helpful,

Well, not really, since none of those are in my replies.

It doesn't like when I underline, or strikethrough. I can paste plain text in and it may complain. What's really a PITA is a complete lack of what it 'thinks' is wrong.

Telling someone "you have invalid html, fix it" is NOT a useful error message.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo