108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Secure Shell - OpenSSL Questions

Go to solution
TWBSupport
Regular Advisor

Secure Shell - OpenSSL Questions

Hi There.

I have installed Secure Shell to allow sftp to one of my clients. When I try to connect to the clients system, I get the following error..
"couldn't connect to PRNGD socket /var/run/egd-pool".

When I search for PRNGD everything comes up with OpenSSL. Do I need to install OpenSSL on top of Secure Shell to allow my server to sftp?

Thank you for your help.
4 REPLIES 4
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Secure Shell - OpenSSL Questions

Hi,

http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=OPENSSL11I

PRBGD is part of hp openssh software depot.

---
OpenSSL A.00.09.07l relies on random numbers for generating cryptographic keys and digital signatures. A strong random number generator is necessary to provide secure and non-reproducible keys and certificates. You can use /dev/urandom, /dev/random, or /opt/openssl/prngd/prngd to generate random numbers.
---

http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=KRNG11I

Regards,
Robert-Jan
TWBSupport
Regular Advisor

Thanks. I can't use the KRNG since it requires a bounce of our system and it's a 24/7 system that doesn't get ANY downtime. Yes, I know ticking time bomb.

I'll check it out and award points when I got it working. thank you
TWBSupport
Regular Advisor

Thanks, works like a charm.

I have one question though, when I sftp to an external server, who ever I am logged in as at the time of the sftp is logging as the user on the external server, which is not the person with the access to this server. Is there any way I can tell my server not to pass that information or is that on the external servers side?
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

sftp user@host