1752594 Members
3035 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: lanboot select or lanboot with a profile fails

N Ward
Regular Advisor

Thanks sujit I will try these things. I already have a dbprofile with the correct details in. Many thanks..
N Ward
Regular Advisor

I can confirm the following:

I can tftp from the client to the ignite server and get /opt/ignite/boot/nbp.efi and also /opt/ignite/boot/Rel_B.11.23/IINSTALLFS

tftp
bootps
instl_boots

are all uncommented.

In /etc/services

tftp is port 69
instl_boots is 1067
instl_bootc is 1068
bootps is 67
bootpc is 68

/opt/ignite/boot/nbp.efi is intact

bootptab has the entry for the above file.

I already have a dbprofile with the correct details, but why is the gateway needed? All servers are on the same subnet.

When I run lanboot -dn I get the following...

Running Loadfile ()
CLIENT MAC ADDRESS xxxxxxxxxxxx (my address)
PXE-E16 Valid PXE offer not received
Exit status code: Invalid Parameter

My recovery images on the ignite server are in /ignite/recovery/ Do I need to configure this bit anywhere?

sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi,

i would suggest that in the dbprofile you put the ignite server IP address as the gateway address, so that shall look as:

SHELL> dbprofile -dn test -sip -cip -gip -m -b /opt/ignite/boot/nbp.efi

In case the host has lot many LAN cards you must check that the VSwitch on the host that the VM Guest is assigned to as LAN has proper network connectivity.
Also please note down the Mac Adress of the client if that might have changed by running hpvmstatus -P VM_Name on the host.

Also need to match the same with that mentioned for the VM Guest as in the /etc/bootptab.

can you please post the O/p for the following

1)#hpvmstatus -P that you plan to re-ignite
2)On the ignite server please attach /etc/bootptab
3) is there another DHCP server on the network that is Competeing in DHCP service with the Ignite server and wins the DHCP handling?

There is another way also that you can try a two step method:

1) on the ignite server run make_media_install , this shall create a DVD boot image for that Ignite UX server verison that you wish to install the target client.

2) Share this image as an ISO file image and assign this as a file DVD to the VM Guest.
#hpvmmodify -P -a dvd:scsi::file:/

3)#hpvmconsole -P

power on the VM.
you can boot using this iso Image as boot disk and choose option network based installation. When prompted for, provide the Ignite server, Client, Gatewaty addresses, subnetmask, etc.Provode the gateway address as the IP address of Ignite server.

regards
sujit
N Ward
Regular Advisor

I just want to clarify I am trying to 'restore' from a make_net_recovery image on the ignite server NOT install.

I have changed the gw address to that of the ignite server. Client still won't install.

hpvmconsole -P

Details attached (note I have removed ipaddresses and also the supplied output has been typed due to difficulty in getting information off)

I have created the ISO image in readiness for the alternative method, but I really want the 1 step working.
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

hi

have you recreated the VM Guest that is re-run hpvmcreate and hpvmmodify to assign the LAN interfaces?

then with the current LAN MAC address as you shall be able to see in hpvmstatus -P please update the /etc/bootptab on the Ignite server.

Also Network Interface Details

Interface Adapter Name Port_Num Bus Dev Ftn Mac Address
--------- ------- ---- -------- --- --- --- -----------

vSSwith Lan vADMIN 4 0 1 0 xxxxxxxxxxx
vSwitch Lan vUSER 4 0 2 0 xxxxxxxxxxx

tells that you have 2 LAN cards assigned to the VM , say MAC1 and MAC2, how come are you sure that the MAC address that you are specifying goes to the correct lan card of the VM, so in case you are doubtful add both the MAC addresses to the /etc/bootptab of the ignite server. Sa

go to the /var/opt/ignite/clients directory on the ignte server and do an ll to see if the MAC Address of the VM is the older and original one.

the /etc/bootptab,

let this be like this:

ignite-defaults:\
ht=ethernet:\
hn=:\
bf=/opt/ignite/boot/nbp.efi:\
bs=61:\
ds=

System-IPF:\
tc=ignite-defaults:\
ha=00d009000000
ip=xxx.xxx.xx.xx
sm=255.255.255.0
gw=xx.xxx.xx.xx
ds

ha=00d009000000
ha=:\
ip=:\
gw=:\
sm=<255.255.255.0>:\
ds=
ha=00d009000000
ha=:\
ip=:\
gw=:\
sm=<255.255.255.0>:\
ds=

make sure that ha=:\
is the same as you shall get as in the hpvmstatus -P O/P.

please note that ignite make_net_recovery is reinstall of the client using the network archived image.

regards
sujit
N Ward
Regular Advisor

Thank you for your help on this. I will check all of this out and make appropriate changes..