1751957 Members
5299 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: migration of vg00 of PARISC to ia64

GSGPrakash
Occasional Advisor

migration of vg00 of PARISC to ia64

Scenario - I have PARISC server with 11.11, IA64-11.31.

I want to mount vg00 of PARISC to IA64 server.

I have lun assigned to PARISC, Please provide me step by step procedure to do this.

1.how to use assigned lun on PARISC to mirror vg00 on PARISC ( here on PARISC - vg00 is on 2 local disks)

2. how to take that lun and assigned to IA64

3. how to mount vg00 of PARISC on IA64 ( After PARISC lun is attached to IA64).

thanks a bunch for helping on this. please provide step by step instructions PARISC side and IA64 side so that I can go into multiple issues

5 REPLIES 5
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

>  I want to mount vg00 of PARISC to IA64 server.

Are you wishing to boot the IA64 server from the VG00 that currently in in the PARISC server?   If so, this will not work.  The binaries between HP 9000 and HP Integrity are different.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
donna hofmeister
Trusted Contributor

because you're making such a big change in OS versions, you are much better off configuring the new system by hand (or at least not trying to move files from the old system to the new).

this isn't the news you wanted but it's what you need to do to make the migration go as smoothly as possible.

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

vg00 for PARISC has very little in common with an ia64 system. Nothing in /stand, /dev, /opt and very little of /usr will function in ia64 -- the program instructions are simply incompatible. This is certainly true for database and application programs.

The other issue is that old PARISC systems (ie, 11.11) will have old versions of the filesystem layouts. VxFS filesystem version 2 and 3 must be upgraded before they can be used on 11.31 (see the vxupgrade man pages). You may have to use an 11.23  system as an intermediate system for conversion.

You would be better off backing up the files that can be used and restoring them on the new system.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
GSGPrakash
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for all your replies,,,am not using PARISC vg00 as bootable on IA64, we are testing it in containers concept.

just we want to mount PARISC vg00  on ia64

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Well, I have never done this between PA-RISC and Integrity, but you could try vgimport.

- Shutdown the PA-RISC server and move the disks so that they are attached to the Integrity server.

- Confirm that the Integrity server sees the new disks and has assigned a device file.

- Create a new VG group file.  The following is example creating vg01 (you may need to change):

>  mkdir /dev/vg01

>  mknod /dev/vg01/group c 64 0x010000

- Use vgimport as follows to see what it will do (in preview mode) w/out actually making changes:

> vgimport -vp /dev/vg01 /dev/dsk/c2t5d0 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0      (assuming new disk devices are c2t5d0 and c2t6d0 - change as needed)

-  If the results are what you expect then run the command again, leaving off the "p".

- Activate the VG

> vgchange -a y /dev/vg01

- Mount the filesystems as needed (suggest to mount as "read only" - especially if you wish to reuse the disks back in the original server).

> mount -F vxfs -r /dev/vg01/lvol3  /testvol3

- Note to mount /stand from the other server (lvol1) you need to specify HFS file system:

> mount -F hfs -r /dev/vg01/lvol1 /testvol1

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!