Operating System - HP-UX
1747988 Members
4749 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP-UX 11.31: how to rescan the new LUNs?

Jdamian
Respected Contributor

HP-UX 11.31: how to rescan the new LUNs?

Hi

I had to reboot my rx6660 (HP-UX 11.31) to see 4 new SAN LUNs. The "ioscan -fnC disk" did not work.

I always told proudly that "HP-UX reboot is not required to configure new SAN LUNs" but it seems that has changed.

Is this true? Why?
Perhaps the "rescan" must be done by "scsimgr" command?

Thanx in advance
40 REPLIES 40
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Re: HP-UX 11.31: how to rescan the new LUNs?

ioscan should be sufficient. If your devices are not seen after a rescan followed by insf -e, the problem lies somewhere else, definitely not in a system-not-rebooted condition. Check LUN masking, driver availability, compatibility, etc ... standard things.

J.
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom,

I would use insf -C disk

That will detect presented LUNS.

HP has a limited capacity to detect new LUNS without a reboot. It is very bad at detecting capacity increase. Better to present a new LUN and copy the data.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com

SEP,

>> HP has a limited capacity to detect new LUNS without a reboot. It is very bad at detecting capacity increase. Better to present a new LUN and copy the data.

A pretty damning statement and I would have to disagree with you... in all my time working with HP-UX (10+ years) I can think of only one occasion when we needed to reboot to see new LUNs, and that eventually turned out to be down to the storage subsystem (EMC DMX) not being set with quite the correct parameters. As for not detecting capacity increases - well yes thats true on 11.11 and to some extent on 11.23, but as we are talking about 11.31 here, if the storage subsystem follows the correct behaviour described in the SCSI protocols about informing hosts when LUN sizes are changed, then HP-UX 11.31 will detect that change without a problem.

Oscar,

When I see these sorts of issues, my first consideration is doing a complete validation that I am on a fully supported storage stack - so check the FC HBA, the switch and the array controller, and look at the firmware and driver versions for all to confirm you are on a supported and tested configuration. If you are and you had to do a reboot, that's a bug and you should log a call with HP. There's no way you should be having to reboot to see new LUNs

Can you share some more of your environments configuration with us?

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Usually it is enough to do an ioscan to detect new devices. If this is not working, suspect configuration like presentation on the storage device or zoning on the switch.

You may get wrong results if you use other parameters with ioscan, e.g. -k or -H.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
James George_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi

The new LUNs should show up in the ioscan -fnC disk command and you don't need to reboot the server for this.

# insf -e

# ioscan -fnC disk

If you still don't see the disks, check your fibre cable connection to the server .

rgds/ James

forum is for techies .....heaven is for those who are born again !!
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

With 11.31 you even don't need the insf command normally, ioscan should be enough.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Hi Jozef,

i don't see any reason to use insf -e.

With the -e option, insf reinstalls the special files for pseudo-drivers and existing devices. This is useful for restoring special
files when one or more have been removed.

( for example change the time stampe of all reinstalled devices )

mikap
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

Hi Oscar,

Mostly you will get with the following as suggested by others

1. insf -c
2. ioscan -fnC disk

If you still dont see the luns let me know which Storage Array you have, have u activated the config in switch, Did this server already had luns presented and the 4 luns are added newly.

what was your fcmsutil output before reboot..
Shardha
Valued Contributor

Dear

Run the command in following order

#ioscan
#insf -e
#ioscan -funC disk (to check the new devices)