1753925 Members
8442 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Secure WebConsole through firewall ?

Geetam
Frequent Advisor

Secure WebConsole through firewall ?

I can access my Webconsole(s) fine when I am on the LAN, but not when I dial-in and need to go through a firewall and proxy. Can you give me some ideas what I need to do (what nedds to be opened up on firewall, etc)
25 REPLIES 25
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Re: Secure WebConsole through firewall ?

hi,
since web console will be having it's own unique IP which will be different from u r network IP, so u can't access the WC when u r going thru proxy. Assign a IP address in u r network range to WC and u can access
never give up
Geetam
Frequent Advisor

Ravi

Thanks for the response, but the IP address is not the problem. I am accessing the webconsole fine when I am connected directly on the LAN, i.e, I have the correct IP address. The problem arises when I connect to the LAN via a dial-up connection, going through a firewall/proxy. I suspect the firewall/proxy are not letting some particular type of network traffic through. I am looking for what types of network traffic is required for Secure WebConsole.
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

In firewall open the port 80 in IP of WC.
Brad Andriese
Advisor

I'm not sure what kind of firewall or proxy you have but as others have already said, you need to make sure that a)the firewall and proxy are configured to allow you access to the IP address, and b) the port is open. IF you have those 2 things setup ok, you'll be fine. Unfortunatly, things are not always that simple. For example, a proxy is normal a one way connection, so what side of the proxy are you on? Are you on the outside of the proxy trying to connect to the inside (which will complicate things) or the otherway around? If you are on ths inside of the proxy trying to connect to (what it thinks is) the outside, chances are you'll be ok there, providing you don't have any subnet issues. e.g: If your IP is 10.x.x.x and the WC is 172.x.x.x you might have trouble unless you have a router.

Sound complicated? If you provide a little more information like the kind of proxy server you have and the IP addresses you're using, etc.
Remember, usability is key to sucessful computing!
Geetam
Frequent Advisor

I am not sure what you mean with 'outside' and 'inside', I use the terms like this:
I am connecting from outside (at home, in the big wide world) to inside (company LAN, with HP9000/WebConsole). I can connect to NT servers and I can ping my HP9000s and WebConsoles. Routing and subnets should be set-up OK.

You are right about the proxy being one-way. My network administrator has confirmed that, when I am dialling in, I am not going through the proxy server, only the firewall.

Port 80 is open on the firewall. Are we sure only port 80 is required for Secure WebConsole?

Thanks
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

Yes,the connection physical is ok?
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

hi, geetham
check in the firewall to what is the range of the IP's are allowed or is any specific IP's are allowed, if so make the entry of the system(IP) from which u r logging in.
because if u r using checkpoint-I firewall we can block the certain range or specific IP's.

later
ravi
never give up
Geetam
Frequent Advisor

Vincenzo,
Physical connection is OK, I can connect to NT servers on the LAN and I can ping my HP9000s and WebConsoles.

Ravi,
By the time I have logged in to the LAN, blocked IP address ranges are not in effect (according to our Network Admin)

I am puzzled, any other suggestions?
Thanks
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

Check routing table:
unix
#netstat -rn
NT
#route print