4855 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DNS Forwarding

Go to solution
Gary Mlinek_1
Occasional Contributor

DNS Forwarding

My DNS Forwarding is not forwarding to my workstations. The workstations are able to access most home pages with the exceptions of YAHOO.COM, but my Domain Controllers can access it with no issue. Anybody able to help me with this?
5 REPLIES 5
Georg Tresselt
Honored Contributor

Re: DNS Forwarding

Are you sure this is a DNS and not a proxy or firewall problem ?
http://www.tresselt.eu
Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

Hi Gary,
Hope I'm not teaching my grandma to suck eggs.. but .. Try looking in your Internet explorer tools-->Internet options->privacy-->sites You havent inadvertently blocked yahoo?
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi Gary,

Is this a problem with a single workstation or all of them?

What happen's when you try to browse www.yahoo.com?

On your domain controller, from the command prompt, do an nslookup on www.yahoo.com to get the IP address (it will return several). Then on your workstation that can't browse www.yahoo.com, type the IP address into the address bar. If it successfully browses the site, then it looks like a name resolution (DNS) problem. If it still can't brows the site, then it's not a DNS problem.

What OS is your domain controller running?

What's your anti-virus situation? There are some viruses around which hack into C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and put varius entries in it - usually for windowsupdate.microsoft.com and the anti-virus sites.

Regards,

Gary
Gary Mlinek_1
Occasional Contributor

Georg,

The firewall is not blocking the Yahoo frontpage, or Yahoo for that matter. It seems that www.mail.yahoo.com is working just fine.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Gary
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Gary,

Any feedback yet?

Regards,

Gary