Networking
1752678 Members
5599 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Laptop refuses to network

SMK

Laptop refuses to network

I have a Compaq nx6110 laptop which refuses to see the network when it attempts to connect. It is running Windows XP Home, and is trying to connect to a TCP/IP Ethernet 10 Mbps network with one HP (desktop) system running XP Home, and two Compaq desktops running Win2k SP4.

The laptop can ping any other system over the network, but cannot see them through Windows. The other systems can see it on the network, but cannot access it in any way (including by ping). All of the systems are being assigned an IP address dynamically, and no other system has a problem seeing or accessing any other system.
12 REPLIES 12
Guy Humphreys
Valued Contributor

Re: Laptop refuses to network

SMK,

There are a number of things that could be causing this. First off, I am assuming that you are using a hub or switch to connect all these PCs together. Have you tried plugging the laptop into one of the other ports on the hub? or tried a different network lead.

When you plug the laptop in, does it's NIC LEDS light up at all? and also if you have access to a company LAN or similar does the laptop work on that? If not then I would suspect the NIC drivers are faulty and will need updating

HTH
Guy
'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!'
SMK

1) I have tried both changing the cable and the port; even on the exact same port as another, working computer and using its network cable, the laptop suffers the same condition. Also, both the cable and the port that the laptop is on work for other computers.

2) The NIC lights do light up when the laptop is connected.

3) I do not have access to any network besides the one that I am trying to connect the laptop to.
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Is this system a member of the same Workgroup?

Make sure of the assigned IP address (ipconfig /all).

Are any of the other systems using their hosts or lmhosts file to provide the browsing ability?

Usually, one of the systems will attempt to become a Master Browser. XP Home wins out over 2000, so the HP should be the Browse Master. Can the HP system ping the Laptop?

The other possibility is that the laptop is trying to auto negotiate 100MB rather than 10MB. Try setting the NIC at 10MB manually.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
SMK

1) The laptop is a member of the same workgroup as all of the other systems.

2) Ipconfig is giving me the same ip address that Windows is.

3) Hosts? Browsing? You're talking about areas that seem to be outside my experience.

4) The HP system cannot ping the laptop.

5) The NIC is set at 10 Mbps; same as all the other systems.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Windows SP2 firewall enabled?

Another firewall software installed?

Do you have a Wins server on the network?

Is netbios enabled over TCP/IP?
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
SMK

> Oct 31, 2005 19:01:46 GMT unassigned
> -------------------------------------------
> Windows SP2 firewall enabled?

No

> Another firewall software installed?

No

> Do you have a Wins server on the network?

No

> Is netbios enabled over TCP/IP?

No. TCP/IP is the default protocol that's running on WinXP. Besides, A Dell WinXP Home system & 2 Compaq Win2K systems are working fine with file & print sharing running on the system.
Jorge Pinto Leite
Respected Contributor

Hi SMK
Well, let's look into something diferent.
The icon of your lan (is it on a bridge?) shows limited connectivity? Uninstall the NIC adapter and let Windows find it.

Did it help?
Jim Kisco
Trusted Contributor

SMK

Make sure you have the same user name and password on each of the units.

This issue is probably an authenication problem.

Restart and try to browse...........

Jim
Bernard Levy
Advisor

I have a very similar problem except that none of my computers are HP or Compaq (am I allowed to speak here?).

One existing PC in a 3-PC home network died and a new PC was purchased, running Windows Media Center Edition. It works great on the Internet but like SMK's situation won't see the other computers and vice versa. The other two are running Win XP Home Edition SP2 and Win ME (I just reverted this from Windows 2000 Pro which got very sick).

All my knowledge and that of others on other forums is not helping. I am getting close to uninstalling Norton Internet Security which came as a 90-day trial on the new computer and installing the free A-V program Avast! which I use on the others to see if that is the issue.

Bernie