7534 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Two private networks with NAT and one Router with public IP

Marc_26

Two private networks with NAT and one Router with public IP

Hi,

Problem:

I have a DSL router connected to the internet with an public ip. The network side of the router is in the rang op 10.0.0.XXX 255.255.255.0. On the 10.0.0.XXX is a Windows2000Adv server acting as a router (with ip nr 10.0.0.150) to an other private network 192.168.168.XXX 255.255.255.0.
I can ping from 192.168.168.XXX to the DSL router ip adress (both internal and external).
On the Windows2000Adv server NAT is running for the 10.0.0.XXX and 192.168.168.XXX.
I cannot ping other websites on the internet.
First is it possible what i am doing? If so how do I resolve this problem?

Thanks,

Marc
3 REPLIES 3
Frederic Zeller
Honored Contributor

Re: Two private networks with NAT and one Router with public IP

Hi Marc

You should check :

That the default route of your Win2kAdv Server is correctly set to your DSL router

Use also traceroute to see where your packets are going

Try ping your DSL from you win2k : from both addresses !

From the DSL router : Can you ping your win2k and the Internet ?

What is the default route of your DSL ?

Do you have any NAT log you could check ?

Last check : does your DSL router do a little firewalling ( stopping pings to go thru it, by instance )

HTH

Fred
Why should I bother ? The problem will be gone with the next release ...
Patrick Ruane
Valued Contributor

is the problem definitely with the win2k server (which it looks like it is)? Can you get onto the internet from the server? If yes, the problem is with the server. What is the gateway on the private (192.168.168.***) network set to? It should be the win2k server (on it's 192.168.168.*** address). routing and remote access on the server should be set up to access the 0.0.0.0 network (internet) using the DSL router (10.0.0.***) and the correct interface (the one with 10.0.0.150). Make sure this static route is set up in routing and remote access.

HTH
working harder, making better, doing faster makes us stronger
Greg Atwood_2
Occasional Advisor

a few things to look at:

1. make sure in the IP General section you have an interface set up for each network

2. The interfaces on your server connected to your internal network should _not_ have a gateway

3. you should have a static route set up as ip 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 gateway 10.0.0.xxx (network side of DSL router) assigned to nic attached to DSL router

4.NAT needs an interface set up for each network also. It is a good idea to rename the interfaces to make it harder to pick the wrong interface when setting these up.

Last note: I had a similar problem once where NAT was set up properly but did not work until I did a reboot.