Networking
1751751 Members
3519 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Apparent Active Directory Problem

Edwin G. Castro

Apparent Active Directory Problem

I have some symptoms that seem related and seem related to active directory. I am running Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 1.

I used to be able to access a server using the following names:

\\hostname.localnet.com
\\hostname
\\alias.localnet.com
\\alias

Recently, whenever I use the short names (\\hostname or \\alias) things seem to work correctly. But if I use the long names (\\hostname.localnet.com or \\alias.localnet.com) I get errors. Following are some of those errors:

* If I type \\hostname.localnet.com in the Run dialog box I receive the following error: "No network provider accepted the given network path."
* If I run "net view \\hostname.localnet.com" from the command line I receive the following error: "System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found."
* If I try to map a network drive using \\hostname.localnet.com\share\dir as the folder I get: "The drive could not be mapped because no network was found."

In each case above I receive the same errors using \\alias.localnet.com, but they all work correctly is I use the shorter names (\\hostname or \\alias).

Another interesting symptom I discovered is that if I use \\hostname in the Run dialog box an explorer window correctly opens showing me all the shares on that server. If I click "Search Active Directory" on the left side of the window, in the Network Tasks pane, I receive the following error: "The Directory Service is currently unavailable."

I only see this behavior on my machine. All other computers on the network work correctly. I had another user log on to see if he experienced the same problem and, sure enough, he did. I started noticing the problem yesterday after having the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall turned on during the weekend. I have turned it off since then but the problem still remains.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if more information is required. Thanks!!

--Rajaat
5 REPLIES 5
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Re: Apparent Active Directory Problem

Hi,

Check if on your XP box, on network properties, TCP/IP configuration, advanced paramters, the option 'add suffixes to main dns suffix' is checked (It may be slightly different, I'm translationg from my french box).
Try to uncheck...

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Edwin G. Castro

I have the following in the DNS tab:

Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes. (radio button, selected)
Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix. (check box, selected)
Append these DNS suffiexes (in order): (radio button, not selected)

The first two are related. If I select the third one, then the first two are deselected.

Is this what you where referring to?
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Yes,

Try to uncheck 'Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix. (check box, selected)'

Check also that 'DNS suffix for this connection' is blanck on the bottom.

hth

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

As a general guide....

Anytime a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) doesn't work properly, it's DNS related (DNS Server or client settings for the server or DNS settings).

The short names (NetBIOS Windows names) are resolved by either broadcast within a subnet, through a WINS server, or through an lmhosts file.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Edwin G. Castro

If I run any of the following:

nslookup hostname.localnet.com
nslookup alias.localnet.com
nslookup hostname
nslookup alias

They all respond with the correct IP.

If I run any of the following:

ping hostname.localnet.com
ping alias.localnet.com
ping hostname
ping alias

They all respond. Looks like DNS can resolve the name as long as the \\ are not in front of the FQDN. Any idea what could cause this?