1752818 Members
4137 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

IP Address Change

Dave_243

IP Address Change

Hi,
I was reading one of the concerns posted by another user, about their IP address changing.

I noticed that one of the replies posted back by your selves was asking whether the IP address started with 169.

In my case I have an ADSL Router which has an IP range for a network defined.
Now I cannot browse the internet or the network. I've checked Ipconfig and it displays my Auto IP Address as 169.254.32.69:255.255.0.0. The original address was in the range of 192.169 etc.
I cannot release it. And changing it to a static IP doesn't make a difference. Because of this I cannot access my router's address.

Would you be able to shed some light on the matter?

Kind regards,

Dave.
8 REPLIES 8
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Re: IP Address Change

Dave,

What is your default router ip address? Can you ping it?

set your PC to have the router ip address so that you can open it through a browser!
169.254.32.69 : 255.255.0.0.
The netmask is incorrect and is should be 255.255.255.0
You need to contact your DSL ISP and ask them about their IP configuration!
169. and 10. and 172. they are all Private IP addresses no matter what are the next octets?

Hope this help!
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Dave_243

Thanks for the reply XMAN,
I can ping the router after changing the IP to the router's address, but cannot access it through the browser.
I've just found out another system on the network can access the internet through the router and has the correct IP address.
But I cannot ping the other system or vise versa.
It seems like to me that something perhaps in the registry is doing this. There has been alot of ads popping up in the past. So I think I'm going to try Adaware or something like that to clean up the registry.

Again many thanks, let me know if any other ideas.

Dave.
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Dave,

At the working PC go the command prompt and type the following:

ipconfig/all

compare it with the one which is not working, then change the ip address in that one to be in the same range, for example:

Working one:
IP Address: 192.168.1.5
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

The faulty one:
IP address: 192.168.1.6
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

This should work but it'll be better if you post the result of the ipconfig/all
over here so I can see it!

Thanks
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Dave,

Here is a good tool to scan and clean your Computer from AD/Spy ware!
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22262,00.asp

Consider assigning points at the end of each thread!

Take care

Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

I assume have Win2K or XP. Right click on My Computer and select Manage. After a pause you will see a new window come up. At the bottom of the window on the left is the Services and Applications entry. Click on the + in front of it. Then select Services.

In the right window you will see a list of different services which can run on your computer. Scroll down and find the DHCP client. Verify that it is Started and that it is set to start Automatically. If not, right click on it and select Properties and change it to Start type: Automatic and Start it up. Close the windows.

Now open the Control Panel. I think on an XP it is Start/Control Panel but on my Win2K it is Start/Settings/Control Panel. Open the Network and Diaup Connections icon. Find the Local Area Connection that you use to connect to your router and note the status. If it does not say Enabled then you have a bad cable, bad Ethernet card, bad port on router or you have manually disabled the card.

In any case, double click on it. If you see a button labeled Enable then it is manually Disabled and by clicking the Enable button you will probably fix the problem. Otherwise select Properties. Select the entry Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click on Properties. Make sure Obtain an IP Address Automatically and Optain a DNS Server Address Automatically are both checked. Click on OK.

Run/Start/Cmd
and run

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig

Do you still have the 169 address or did you get a correct one?

Ron
Dave_243

Hi XMAN and Ron,
I have tried changing the IP address to the same as the working system, but it still does not ping or browse. The router is on 192.168.0.1:255.255.255.0 and the other working system is on 192.168.0.3.
I am still to check on whether DHCP Client service is set to automatic. But I've notice that I cannot run the /release command. It doesn't actually report any error messages, it just displays the current IP Address and Subnet mask. As if I just type in Ipconfig on its own. And of course I don't get any success out of running /renew (error).
I removed everything that AdAware found but didn't make a diff. Also I ran regedit and removed all traces of the IP address 169 etc. Restarted, had to remove and redetect the NIC as not even ipconfig worked! Once this happened the dreaded 169 address was back!! So I suspect something, possibly in Reg is placing it in there.
Man my head hurts!!!
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Dave,

Is your OS Win9x or Win2k. if it's win9x you either use the GUI command winipcfg or use the following at the command line:
ipconfig/release_all
ipconfig/renew_all

If it's Win2k
let's do one thing.
uninstall everything from the Local Area connection properties, TCP/IP, Client for Microsoft Network and shut down the system.
If your NIC is not integrated, meaning if your NIC is removable, Open up the case and move the NIC to another slot !
Then reboot, it should reinstall everything as well as the NIC card, or install the NIC driver if you have to. then
ipconfig/all and post your results.
Please don't change anything with the registery.
You can restore the registery at any time:
scanreg /restore
and select the correct date prior to changing anything!

If you have any questions, please let us know!
Thanks
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

169.254 is the DEFAULT IP range that Windows generates when it cannot get a DHCP assigned address. For some reason, it appears that your system can no longer communicate with your router/access point.

You could try disabling the DHCP service, statically assign an IP within the same subnet as your router, thentry to get to it's internal web server page.

If the router is 192.168.0.1, then set a static address of 192.168.0.2 If it won't accept it as the primary address, then go into the advanced screen, and add a second IP address as 192.168.0.2

Once the IP address is in place, you should be able to ping the router, and/or use your browser to get to it.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda