Networking
1753362 Members
5410 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Remote downlevel document

Donald Mackenzie_1

Remote downlevel document

A PC running Win2k will regularly send to any available printer a document described as "Remote downlevel document".

This causes the printer to continually print pages with only one line of symbols on the top of each page.

Once cancelled the document will constantly re-appear as if a random timer in the Win2k PC is programmed to regularly print this document.
10 REPLIES 10
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: Remote downlevel document

Hi,

is the printer shared? Remote downlevel document indicates a printing over the network and if the printer driver on the other side is faulty or the format not supported, that might be the cause for the symbols.

greetings,

Michael
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Would you mind to be more specific what is required exactly. The symbols could mean either a bad driver or bad cable..
In regard of the document will constantly re-appear, that means one of the applications is configured to start printing on a certain time. Check your startup programs or the Task Scheduler!! or remove the print and file share service from the My network Places properties..

Good luck and please keep us updated!
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Michele Berg

Which virus might cause this to happen?
Scott Wood_1

FunLove has caused this problem for us.
Peeyush
Regular Advisor
Brad Cozine

I just had the issue with W32.Gaobot.SA in file:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\PRINTERS\00003.SPL

jason kuroshima

me too only i'm running XP
Ryan C_1

Good stuff folks,

I was having the same issue, I just ran McAfee and found bomsvc32.exe under my C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents
and it was detected as W32/Gaobot.worm.gen.g
Thank you all, for the forum :)

Thank You,
Ryan